Wrong category...incorrect info.?

While looking at items for sale on ebay,I’ve seen lots of stuff offered in wrong categories…mostly dated way off. Deliberate or ignorance? I can understand not knowing an eagle design from a peyote bird but chip inlay doesn’t belong in the 1800-1935 era. Seller hoping possible buyers don’t know?
&
I say “antique” is 100 years old,“vintage” needs to be 50?
Anybody’s thoughts?

3 Likes

Many sellers have no in-depth knowledge of what they sell. Sometimes it’s deliberately misleading but many times they just have no idea.

4 Likes

I’ve found a few good “finds” looking at wrong “aged” categories; under like, Southwestern BoHo, …I must sound heartless, but i have found as JW states, some people have no clue … I have no patience for those that purposely price gouge.

2 Likes

I have also found some good things that were mislabeled. But also no sympathy for price gouging.

1 Like

Add at least 20 years (and up to 100) for any date you see on ebay

2 Likes

Agreed - I’m confident we’ve all seen pieces that we literally laughed out loud when we saw the asking price :open_mouth: :grinning:

1 Like

lol…like the “antique” cuff w/a Kennedy coin on front? Guess I should factor in my own antiquity :smile:

1 Like

& I’m already spoiled by my pawnshop prices.

1 Like

I do have to say - there are those hovering over their computers waiting to pounce on the good deals - I made a huge mistake when listing a beautiful sandcast cuff of my grandmothers on eBay (it was super uncomfortable for me, and my sisters and cousins had much smaller wrists, so it really didn’t fit anyone) - I accidentally set the opening bid price as the “buy it now” price, hit enter, realized what I had done, went to edit the offering, and one guy had already bought it in the space of a minute! Ouch.

1 Like

I Foolishly listed a Madeline Beyuka eagle dancer ring as an auction item in '14 with no reserve!!! Contacted Ebay immediately and explained my “new seller” issue. I was a wreck…Luckily they worked with me. I was very fortunate the prospective buyer accepted my apology and it never happened again…

2 Likes

I think most people just don’t know what they have. When even those well-versed in turquoise and NA jewelry can only hazard a guess with many pieces, I don’t place much faith in the accuracy of online listings. Even with my inexperienced eye, I’ve been able to look at a lot of listings and said, “nope!”. But I love looking and sometimes taking a gamble!!

2 Likes

I live in Spain now…antique stuff is 2000 years old and just old stuff is 1000 years old. 100 years old is just used HAHA ! Kyle

3 Likes

lol…keep adjusting my perspectives

1 Like