Zuni carved turquoise petit point pin

Found this pretty little gem today. The turquoise appears to be real and the pin appears to have some age. The only markings are AZ RR etched into the back. I have only been able to find one like it and the seller was not calling in Zuni even though they did mention the similarities. The asking price was $300.00. If that’s a realistic price then I did very well.
Does anyone recognize this style and can it be attributed to a specific artist or family? Am I right in thinking the turquoise is real? And finally, what is a realistic value? Thanks for your knowledge!

3 Likes

I think you did well with this purchase @Islandmomma. I really like the unusual cuts of turquoise, which definitely appear genuine. I’ve seen this cut a few times before, but I’m not sure to whom (or if anyone) it is attributed. About how big is the pin would you say?

1 Like

Interesting cuts. Do you suppose they’re supposed to be animals, turtles or bears all facing the center?

1 Like

It is approximately 1 1/2”; just marginally on the larger side. The one I mentioned in my earlier post is a little bigger.

Thanks for your observation. They do look rather like bears or turtles now that you mention it. I noticed that they were all cut the same and facing the same direction but hadn’t thought about them representing animals.
Found an interesting old Cuzco Peruvian 14k and silver pin as well. A fun solo day that was very relaxing.

Glad you enjoyed your day out. I only started with this whole venture to have some idea of the value of the things that I have. However the more I study the more I get the bug. I have taken to some of the local pawn shops but have yet to find anything that is not Mexico Sterling. I found one Zuni inlay piece however they wanted a full retail price and I believe it is fairly modern it just felt light and puny not like the other Zuni pieces I have which are much heavier and substantial. Happy Hunting

1 Like

Thanks. I know what you mean about this becoming addictive. I think I have always had the bug even as a child. (And I still have jewelry from then). My main focus has changed from time to time over the years and is now predominantly Native American jewelry. However, if something exciting shows up in front of me, I can get sidetracked…beautiful stained glass, a lovely handwoven blanket or rug, a burl bowl or other wonderful wood, a great buy on gemstone jewelry…etc.
I do occasionally find pieces locally but living in the coastal south east is not really the best spot. I actually find a lot of mine online. Have a trip planned to San Diego this winter and am hoping to have some thrift store, pawn shop time while hanging out with a cute little fellow and waiting for his new sister to arrive. Happy hunting to you as well!

1 Like

Be sure to message me before you get down to San Diego, I can reccomend some great Flea markets and Antique malls :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks I sure will. I will be there for three weeks so hope to make a few finds. Wonder if I can turn a two year old into a turquoise addict in that amount of time? :joy:

This us a really cool pin. I’ve never seen one like it before.

2 Likes

I ran across this today

1 Like

Thanks for the info. They are asking even more than the listing I found on Etsy. Sure wish someone had information about the maker or makers in their listing. At least I can follow these and see what they actually sell for. Thanks again!

1 Like