Zuni ceremony Earrings

I am trying to identify whether these are a kachina or a ceremonial figure the figure is holding a skull upside down. Marked on the back sterling. No makers mark.

3 Likes

My guess is, a Philippines creation intended to be deceptively sold as Zuni inlay, with vaguely Plains Indian imagery.

How was it represented to you?

1 Like

I’ve never seen anything remotely close to this before. I agree with Chic - this is not Native imagery, and probably an asian import.

1 Like

These were sold to me as zuni earrings.

I agree with chicfarmer and jemez, these look like Asian imports to me. The turquoise looks suspicious for block. What makes me most skeptical of them, though, is the image of a plains style Native American figure holding the cow skull—a design that doesn’t seem remotely Zuni to me.

3 Likes

Thank you so much to all of you. Its difficult being in the UK as you dont get to see the amount of native american jewelry as you guys do. Even the shops we have here rather buy from a mexican company that produce the styles rather than sell the original work. With the exception of one shop but they stick solely contemporary low end priced items nothing over ÂŁ1.000

Hi, Could you post a photo of the back of the earrings please? I’m curious because I have a pair of Phoenix earrings where the “inlay” looks similiar

Here is the picture of the back of the earrings.

1 Like

1 Like