Zuni cluster bracelet 1930?

Hello!

This pièce was bought by my dad in 1976 in California. Supposed to be a Zuni bracelet from the 1930’s. No hallmark. It is a beautiful piece!

I was hoping to find some more info on artist and the stones.

Kind regards

3 Likes

I wonder about the stones, they almost light up in the dark. Especially the center one. I have not seen this on my other turquoise jewelry.

I sent a picture of this to someone I know. He comes from a family of very well known jewelers. He will know and I will let you know when I hear back from him.
It looks legit to me.

2 Likes

I heard back and he told me that it is Zuni style but actually Navajo made. Hope that helps. I think it is lovely!
I just got the rest of his message. He said stabilized and color enhanced. I hope you enjoy wearing it.

4 Likes

If Islandmomma’s friend is right and the turquoise is stabilized/color enhanced (I myself can’t tell from these pictures) that would give you an idea on age. The stabilization process wasn’t invented until the 50’s so anything with stabilized turquoise would be then or later.

4 Likes

Thanks you both so much!! And please thank your friend for looking in, Islandmomma. I love wearing it, it is such a pretty bracelet. So I will read up on the stabilisation proces, that is interesting!

1 Like

Beautiful bracelet and stones! There is something about Navajo cluster work that makes me want to spend money. Great piece! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am so proud of my mom for keeping her NA jewelry all bought in the seventies in such excellent condition. I will do the same untill it is time to give it to the next generation in our family. That is why trying to find as much information, so that can be passed on as well! They are things to respect and honor with care.

2 Likes

Very pretty cuff!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

So I read about the stabilising and checked the stones up close. There are little cracks and such that don’t seem filled? They feel rough in these spots. I tried to make a picture through a magnifying glass. Hope that helps.Some stones seem discolored, more greenish. Could they be not stabilised?

Sorry for spamming, I am being sucked into learning! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The stone on this D. Reeves (it is signed) gorgeous young girls bracelet looks and feels entirely different. It has a thick coat, feels totally smooth. This is stabilised thus, right?

Then there is the stone in this Navajo ring. You can feel the cracks of the matrix. Unstabilised? Or worn? My mom wore this one, always. I am a bit worried about the stone, actually…

1 Like

Bad picture of the bracelet, another try…

1 Like

It can be pretty hard to tell if turquoise is stabilized or not, especially for cut and polished cabs. Also, it helps to remember that stabilization is not a singular process but there are several different techniques that change the stone in different ways. For example, a relatively newer technique called the Zachary process can be particularly difficult to identify:

You are right that stones with a very polished, glassy appearance are generally stabilized. However, I’m not necessarily sure that the stone in your Daniel Reeves bracelet is stabilized. Higher grade stones are hard and will take a nice polish which may just be what you are seeing here. And yes, stones that change color and become more green over time can generally be assumed to be unstabilized (But should be differentiated from turquoise that has a more greenish color to begin with).

In general, stabilization will lock out moisture and unstabilized stones will absorb moisture. I’ve heard of a few tests based on this principle: one is to touch the inside of your lip to the stone. If the stone absorbs the moisture and your lip kind of “sticks” to the the stone that can be an indication that it is unstabilized. Another poster on here suggested once that you submerge the whole stone in water for a few hours or overnight–if it absorbs water and darkens that means it is unstabilized; if the color stays the same it is stabilized. Do not soak stones set in jewelry in water as that could cause them to loosen in their settings.

This thread on stabilization is pretty helpful:

Your ring is stellar, it looks like possible #8 turquoise (very desirable). The pitting in the matrix is just part of the character of the stone–I don’t see any reason to be concerned about it. My guess is that this one is unstabilized.

1 Like

I agree with what OrbitOrange said and just want to add one more point to it.

I cut and polish my own turquoise cabs and sometimes, if you get a really good quality stone, it is so hard to observe moisture absorbtion. Doesn’t matter what methods you use. I think the only way to make sure is to use FTIR instrument to see if there is any polymer precent at the surface of the cab.

2 Likes

Thank you, OrbitOrange!! Very interesting read! I guess testing is the only sure way. Good to hear the stone in the ring is ok! And could be #8, Jason suggested it too. (I posted a question about the possible hallmark a year ago).

1 Like