Zuni Eagle Dancer Bolo

I found a big Eagle Dancer bolo today. It’s 4-5/8" tall and 4" wide. It weighs 89g. and seems to be very well made.

The back of the piece and the bolo tips seem to have an even dark patina so I think the tips are original to the piece, they are 2-1/2" long.

It has the Bennett Pat. Pend. C31 clip so it can’t be before 1957.

It’s made with turquoise, coral, mother of pearl, jet and what looks to be tortoise shell.

Looking for some idea as to the age and an approximate value? Do any of the design elements hint at a particular artist? I haven’t seen any Eagle Dancers with flowers on their clothing.

6 Likes

What a beautiful piece. I could not find another like it. If this was mine I would want to put a name to it as well. I have looked at more Zuni bolos the last two days then I care to. I think the artist will always remain a mystery, but it has design elements closest to Joe Zunie in my search.
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&biw=1679&bih=891&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_lC4Xc3GEaGw5wKPh7KoDg&q=joe+zunie+bolo&oq=joe+zunie+bolo&gs_l=img.3...264217.264217..264487...0.0..0.114.114.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.z4TJy1XMYWc&ved=0ahUKEwjNvfCO28HlAhUh2FkKHY-DDOUQ4dUDCAY&uact=5#imgrc=mYoBW3HEpXpNbM:

1 Like