Zuni Identification Help Please

I would like to id the maker of this brooch. I have some books on Zuni Jewelry and there were a few that used crescents in their work - Kallestewa, Ondelacy and Quam but nothing quite like what I have here. Let me know what you think. Thanks

7 Likes

What a great broach! I collect broaches; wear them on jean jackets, etc. I’m in the process of moving; my reference books are at the other house. When I’m here next week, I’ll check my many Zuni references to see if I can find anything that might help :smile:.

2 Likes

it is always difficult when you don’t have a hallmark. You try and find a characteristic that you can attribute to another artist, but this one I couldn’t find anything. I did find another exactly like it, but no help in the identification of the piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373638539284

2 Likes

Thanks Jason. I thought this would be Zuni. Do you think this could be Navajo?

1 Like

I have some Navajo work that is similar in style.

1 Like

The eBay seller is attributing that broach to Navajo Frances Jones. Not sure why, but it might be worth researching. That broach is not hallmarked either.

1 Like

I find, and this may or may not be the case with this listing, that some sellers (especially high volume ones) use a template and don’t change all the relevant info from one listing to the next. Frances Jones per Hougarts does cast work; small figural pins; yei necklaces; pendants; buckles. A google confirms that. I couldn’t find any work attributed to her that has petit point turquoise work. She is known for her very nice rail cuffs as well https://shopmuseum.org/collections/bracelets/products/francis-jones-sterling-silver-bracelet-3. I’m hoping Bmpdvm finds some info.

2 Likes

I think of the pin as Zuni, just giving the listing to show you that the artist had another one out there.

1 Like

What is scratched onto the back of the brooch?

Nothing on the back of my pin. I don’t know what is scratched on the back of the pin in the ebay listing.

It really has many Navajo characteristics. It is beautiful. But for me the turquoise gave it away to maybe being from a Navajo Artist . Also the rope twist. Beautiful enjoy.

Not sure what you mean by the turquoise gave it away as possibly Navajo. And lots of Zuni work has the twisted silver. I just mentioned Navajo because of the photo, and because I have two pawn cluster work rings that I would have assumed were Zuni, but the owners of the trading posts (actual posts on the rez), told me they were Navajo.

1 Like

The matrix in the turquoise . It’s probably from being in the Turquoise business for 32 years myself and my husbands family were a big part of the turquoise boom of the 60’s and 70’s. They taught me quite a bit. I love this site. It’s quite the challenge. I hope I didn’t offend you, it’s more of a test for myself. I should probably keep my comments to myself.

2 Likes

You did not offend me at all, I just truly wondered what you meant; I didn’t understand. Please comment! But I (and others) will ask for clarification if we aren’t sure what someone means. That’s how we all learn. That’s why we are on here!

2 Likes

I find the differences between Zuni and Navajo cluster work interesting. I’ve read many opinions on differences between the two, and have spent time attempting to determine the if my numerous unmarked cluster breaches, bracelets and rings are Navajo vs Zuni. I am certainly not an expert, but to my eye this is a Navajo broach. It has to do with the look of the turquoise, the consistency, shape and cut of the stones, the fineness of the bezels, specific characteristics…silver drops, crescents, and to some degree the heft of the piece. But we all know, there are exceptions to everything😊.
I’m going to start a conversation about Zuni vs Navajo cluster work where we can post and discuss both signed and unsigned pieces. A fun learning experience for all!
@Turquoise1313, with your family history, hope you’ll weigh in!

2 Likes

Good idea @Bmpdvm! I don’t own any Zuni cluster work. I always seem to be drawn to the slightly heavier pieces.