Zuni Thunderbird Earrings?

Hi .I’m new to this great site and to collecting these. I just bought these earrings today at a thrift store and am trying to identify them. Does anybody have any idea? Also trying to did determine the year they were made. There are no markings other than “silver”. Any info you may have is appreciated. Thanks!

If the marking you are talking about is on the screw as shown in the pictures…I would test the back of the earrings for silver content as well. Some folks would date these based on the findings. But that really only dates the findings. Many silversmiths use old findings that they have on hand when creating new items. Without a hallmark or engraving it will be pretty tough to date them accurately. The inlay work itself may be the best identifier. These look like minimal work was used on them. They have the look of mass produced to me. Note the lack of rope work and other decorative silver techniques. I am sure you got them for a song, enjoy them!

Some photos to compare below

1 Like

I have included a google search page for Zuni thunderbird earrings. Most Zuni artists will do the same style over and over, so you might take the time and try to find a thunderbird that matches. This will be the beginning of getting your questions answered. These are really cool and those screw backs would seem to indicate some age. https://www.google.com/search?q=inlay+zuni+thunderbird+earrings&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSy6uC0OfaAhWl5oMKHXgyBlgQ_AUICygC&biw=1680&bih=887

1 Like