A Discussion about Chinese Turquoise

Doesn’t look like it. This looks like older blue turquoise that has gone green over time. This is a look many of us love.

5 Likes

Hi. I am looking to purchase this neckace. Can you please advise if its natural turquoise? Is it Chinese turquoise? And what would be the fair price for it. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, those are chinese turquoise beads but this necklace is not Native American made. The value of the beads alone is about $25-$35 in my opinion.

4 Likes

Great post and so true. Thanks for all the time you put itno this! Kyle

2 Likes

I like buying beads like this…don’t hate me here…sometimes I buy them to slice in half (along with the hole) and use them for cabochons. I see 30+ good pendants, rings and Bracelets :laughing:

3 Likes

Nice post! Not that long of a post if you’re truly interested in the subject.

I was really surprised how beautiful a lot of the Chinese turquoise is. Usually when you think of something being from China, you think cheap or not good quality. But in actual fact, a lot of the turquoise is awesome!
One thing that surprised me is that there is some hubei turquoise that has that chocolate matrix similar to bisbee turquoise. So beware if you’re buying “bisbee” on somewhere like eBay.
Not to take away from my original point.

Also I’ve seen this user on Instagram that also sells on eBay as well. They sell some really beautiful turquoise. Both in cab form, as well as nugget form. Some natural and some stabilized. They do indicate which is which with each post.

If you have Instagram and want to buy some good quality Chinese turquoise, check them out, prices are good. Here’s their Instagram page.

https://instagram.com/51turquoise?igshid=2aw5od0ulfkw

It’s amazing to think I buy most, if not all my turquoise off of Instagram, of all places. Lol
From the Otteson’s to the King mines, now I’m starting to buy from the Chinese mines. It’s all good, even though Royston is my fav :joy:

Anyhow, hope this helps someone. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Just bought this super nice Hubei Turquoise cab last night.

To me this looks as high quality as any of the best American turquoise.

It’s 47 carats, and not stabilized. All natural.

11 Likes

These were both sold to me as ‘Tibetan Turquoise’ AKA Chinese turquoise. Both stones are unstabilized and undyed. I love the lighter blue color so much!

3 Likes

Very interesting about the Chinese mines. I never would have thought that the lime green nuggets from the Yao Jia Po Mine are actual turquoise. I would have thought that they were like the dyed blue howlite nuggets shown with such frequency on Alibaba. Thank you!

Thank you, Bree, for another one of your wonderful and informative pieces!

1 Like

those top grade lime green one are super rare now. I saw two small rough nuggets about 4g in total for sale for over 3000 USD last month. And it was gone in a flash. Not something normal collector would be able to buy. Considering about 40% - 60% lost during manufacturing process, the end product price will be crazy.

3 Likes

Hi, I got this necklace in an Estate sale lot. I was wondering if this is Chinese Turquoise. I picked away at the edge of the bed where the hole is and You can see veining and the exact color as the outside except that it’s not polished. I would love to know. I don’t want to miss lead anyone. I do not believe it’s howlite.

1 Like

I do not think this is turquoise.

3 Likes

A few points on the article: The JTV example is not “fake”. All the major tv/online retailers (JTV, HSN, QVC) source genuine US mined stones (albeit usually treated) but have the ring itself assembled/manufactured in China or Thailand, ‘cause of course that’s where they can have hundreds made identically for cheap(er). The product info is very clear where it was mined, the treatment, and where the product was finished.

To clarify about the Asian tourists buying back oriental goods: many antiquities have been destroyed due to the changing regimes (the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s was such a time), because of that it is now illegal to export, and the market there is starving for Oriental antiquities, so they buy back what had been exported years ago.

The author’s sentence structure, the order and flow of the author’s clauses, confuses the cause and effect of what’s happening there.

1 Like

Hi, loved your post. I do lapidary work and most of what I cut is turquoise from the province of Hubei. Lately I’ve been concentrating on higher quality material. I find it every bit as beautiful as American turquoise. Thank you again for a very informative post.:blush:

7 Likes