About the Introductions & Chat category

How do i use this site?
How do i send a question?
I am a 30 year Mac user and this site is incomprehensible to me…

I have been interested in NA jewelry since my college days. I learned “Indian Style” jewelry making while at college. circa 1972. I have collected numerous pieces that are delightful. Completed many NA copy-cat designs, because I liked them so much!!! Always looking for like minded individuals to share with.

1 Like

Welcome, you will enjoy it!

Hi everyone I’m so happy to be given the information about this forum.
I became interested in turquoise in the middle 1970s while on a trip out west and one of our goals was to stop in Gallup New Mexico. I came home with about 8 pieces some came from a Reservation and some are signed. As soon as I figure out how to attach photos to the forum I have some pictures to get your input on the type of stone and the marks. So glad to be here Marianne.

Welcome. Excited to see your pieces. This image symbol with the mountain and moon will allow you to upload images.

Hi I’m Robin from Texas and would like to learn about Native American jewelry since I’m buying for myself and selling some pieces occasionally, I’m pretty new to this jewelry but have always had a strong interest in particular Zuni pieces

Welcome Robin, look forward to seeing some of the pieces you own or wanting to sell.

Hello Robin! Welcome! You’ll love this site, a great place to learn, share and grow. Plus you’ll make new friends. I’ve just been a part for 6 months and enjoy it so!

Yes thank you I’m sure this will be a great site, thanks for welcoming me

1 Like

I’m new and I am so excited to have found this forum. I am so happy to be a part of this group. A great site to research and learn. Love seeing all the pieces you are sharing. I have many pieces I cant wait to share with you as well. I have been in love with stone since I was a little girl. I carved my first stone in the 70’s and have taught my granddaughters to carve starting when they were 5 years old. But turquois has always held an attraction over me. It speaks to the heart. I am now learning to do my own silver work.

1 Like

Hi All. I have been collecting Native American Art for 15 years. I started with Native American jewelry and, of course, turquoise is a significant material. I grew up in New Mexico so when I go back I take the opportunity to explore. I have a fairly large collection of jewelry and cabs.

this is a very cool forum and look forward to sharing what I can with everyone!

Michael

1 Like

I became interested in turquoise because my aunt passed away this year and left me around 200 pieces of old pawn as she called them and also 6 Navajo rugs and I don’t know much but she started buying in the 50s so it’s all old and I’m trying to find out more about it

2 Likes

Only took me 10 minutes to figure out how to post on here, haha! My name is Anna and I just purchased a 40 year collection of jewelry from an estate. My best guess is there are at least 5 thousand pieces. Being raised with 6 boys and proud to be what I refer to as a “girly tomboy”, I truly know nothing about jewelry (other than I feel naked if I leave the house without earrings on). I have purchased a jewelry kit with gold/silver/platinum tester fluid, loupe and diamond tester. There is an entire shoe box of turquoise jewelry, as well as items from probably most jewelry categories. I have a question please. Who do you use for online valuations of jewelry? Oh Lawd….I’m 60 and my education is just beginning!! Hoping everyone reading this is healthy and happy. Cheers from Alabama.

1 Like

@Roadtrip welcome to the forum. The best thing to do is go https://forum.turquoisepeople.com click new topic and pick appraising and evaluating category, then upload images

1 Like

Greetings fellow turquoise-holics my name is Teresa and I have a problem. My addiction started when I was a teenager in the 70’s. My Aunt Joyce in Denver Colorado was the Curator of Ethnology at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Her expertise was in Native American Basketry but of course she was responsible for the entire Native American collection at the Museum. As children, my sisters and I loved going to the Museum and the gift shop. My first purchase of Native American jewelry was a Navajo silver and coral ring that looks a bit like an Art Deco inspired insect. I grew up with a deep respect for the native culture thanks to my Aunt Joyce. Upon my graduation from High School in 1978, my Aunt J gifted me a vintage Squash Blossom necklace. It has been a treasured piece ever since.
My first loves happen to be rings. As you can see, my collection includes alot of Zuni inlaid pieces, Navajo, and some signed by well known artists, Weebothee, Dominic Cadman, etc. I don’t believe I have ever spent more than $175 for any of the rings displayed and most have been purchased on eBay. My second passion is collecting Santo Domingo necklaces and anything Heishi. I don’t have any children to inherit what I have collected but I am hoping my nieces and nephews will want some of it when I am gone!!. I look forward to reading some more posts on this forum and continuing to learn about Native American Jewelry…Teresa

5 Likes

Your ring collection is spectacular!!
I’m as green with envy as the one in the middle of the second row from the bottom!

1 Like

Hello all, glad to have found this site. My sisters, cousins and I come by our love of NA jewelry honestly, as our grandparents spent many years as rockhounds here in the Northwest, and visited the Southwest for a few months each winter. Our grandmother always came back with a treasure or two each time (sadly many were stolen when their house was broken into). Each of us inherited a few pieces when she passed, and we’ve all added to our collections over time. Our dad shakes his head and asks “don’t you have enough?”, we just laugh and continue to purchase pieces that catch our eye.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
We are a family of three and are turquoise miners. We are mining, marking and making jewelry in Colorado. We also deal in other jeweler’s designs but made with the turquoise we have mined out ourselves. This way we can be positive that we are providing true untreated turquoise. My husband is a Abanki native from Vermont and has been working with turquoise for about 22 yrs now. There is so much to still learn about the sky stone, and I joined the turquoise people group to interact with others that enjoy the stone as much as us.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

4 Likes

Welcome and thank you for joining this forum! I’m sure you will add valuable knowledge to this already accomplished group of people. I really look forward to seeing some of your families work! I also look forward to hearing your comments on our questions as well as posing your own. This is a great resource!

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Tim. I’m new here as well as to collecting NA jewelry. My interest in NA jewelry began after buying few pieces at auction a few months ago. While scouring all of the sources I could trying to find out more, I was exposed to the world of turquoise and NA jewelry and was immediately drawn to the beauty, and history, as well as the makers and their stories. Im looking forward to learning more and will probably be asking many questions. Forgive me in advance if my questions appear elementary, but that’s where my knowledge base is…

Hey there! Introduce yourself and tell us why you are interested in Native American art.
[/quote]

1 Like