About the Introductions & Chat category

Hi all! New to this site! Hoping to learn more about NA Jewelry. Became interested a few months back after picking some items up at an auction and have since began collecting. My interest in collecting goes back several decades, but mostly in the form of hand carved vintage duck decoys and specialty type modern firearms as well as antique firearms. My new passion over NA jewelry exists, I believe due to the originality, uniqueness and beauty of the pieces themselves. I am also intrigued with it because of the individual stories behind the pieces and the stories of the artists, as well as the history and tradition. I will be posting some of the pieces I have found thus far and look forward to calling on the groups expertise in learning about these pieces and any knowledge about the art form itself. Thank you allowing me the privilege of joining your group I look forward to gaining as much knowledge as possible.

1 Like

Since I joined the site about 2 weeks ago, I decided I should say hello! Iā€™m from northern IN (which is a great place to live - we have a corner of the amazing Lake Michigan!), but I love the southwest. My father loved all things western, and we took a couple long trips west when I was little ('69 and '71). Iā€™ve been blessed to inherit some of my parents items from those trips. My dad knew little about native art, but he owned a furniture store which he decorated with antiques that he carefully researched; he loved to know details about every purchase. Sadly he died when I was 16, and I hadnā€™t asked much bout his things. But itā€™s led me on a years long search to learn!

In the late 80ā€™s I traveled to NM and was entranced. Fortunately I now have a best friend in AZ, a nephew in western CO, and another nephew in NM.

This site is wonderful! Iā€™ve learned a lot previously from very patient trading post and shop owners and reading, but look forward to learning a lot more here. Thanks yā€™all!

Amazing collection, love it!

Hello Turquoise Members! Thank you for the opportunity to learn and ask questions. Excited to meet everyone!

2 Likes

Dont have a clue how to put the hundreds of things I was left when my aunt passed and I mean hundreds of old pawn illnesses, wait till my son comes and let him do it

It might be hard to put hundreds on here. I imagine the moderator of this site, Jason, who is with Perry Null in Gallup NM, would have some advice on the best thing for you to do.

You need to take pictures of your items with your phone. When you post a topic, there are 2 small boxes to the bottom right of the big box you type in. Click on the one on the left (it looks like a little mountain in a little box). On my phone (an Android) that takes me to my files, and thatā€™s where my pics show up. Then click on the pic you want, and it will show up in the box you are typing in. Be aware that it wonā€™t show up as a picture yet; it will just be a bunch of nonsensical looking letters, numbers, etc. When you hit the blue reply box, it will post what you wrote with the picture. I hope that helps.

I suggest first just trying to post a few of the ones you are most curious about. Then go from there. Remember no one here will give you official appraisals; just what they can figure out from your pictures to give you an idea of what you might have.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information I will try to do this

2 Likes

Hi there, and Happy New Year to everyone. I have always loved Native American art, jewelry and crafts. A beloved and now departed friend encouraged this interest.

2 Likes

Welcome! You will learn a lot here. And happy new year to you too!

2 Likes

Hope this works

3 Likes

Any info on this part of my collection

3 Likes

Beautiful pieces. I tried looking up the initials LC but didnā€™t see anything that looked like it. Here is a screenshot from the website I went to.

Was there a Hallmark on the first piece? Iā€™ve never seen coral inlay show through to the back side like that. The turquoise looks beautiful on both.

However, people probably arenā€™t going to see this post as readily where youā€™ve put it. What you probably should do is start a new post under one of the topics such as Identifying and Discovering. For some reason this one doesnā€™t always show up - at least on my phone. I donā€™t know how many comments youā€™ll get here.

Tap on one of the other topics and then give it a headline and then do what you did here only under that topic box.

1 Like

Thank you for the information Iā€™m new to this and Iā€™ll try to do it

1 Like

That bracelet is super nice, couldnā€™t find anything on the hallmark LC. Does seem like someone named Lee Chee is from this timeframe, but his LC stamp looks different. Does the other piece have a hallmark? The one with inlay coral.

1 Like

Hello all! Iā€™m just a newbie who became interested in learning and identifying mostly Native American Sterling Jewelry as I ended up with some pieces after my mother died.

1 Like

Welcome! You will learn a lot here. I also began my love of Native jewelry as a result of a parent passing (my dad) and leaving me a beautiful belt buckle when I was 16. Although it wasnā€™t till decades later that I really dug into learning.

Looking forward to seeing your jewelry!

Hi Joe! Just out of curiosity: did you make this ring or was it Juan T. Singer? I thought it was him until I saw your post hereā€¦

Hello. Ive had a love for turquoise jewelry since a I was a little girl, but never dug deep into origins, hallmarks, etc until recently. And thats how I found this site.

1 Like

Hello there! Iā€™m interested about NA jewellery thanks to a love of turquoise. Itā€™s my birthstone, but for most of my life Iā€™d resisted even looking at turquoise. Finally I became curious about itā€”and through that avenue I discovered the beauty and sophisticated design of Navajo (and other NA) turquoise pieces. However, I live up in Canada, and there are only limited opportunities for learning more about this vast subject. This forum is a godsend! Iā€™m looking forward to poring over the community posts and learning what I can.

1 Like

Hello!
I have several pieces of NA jewelry but recently inherited several pieces from my mother in laws estate, that really puts my stuff to shame and I wanted to learn more.

Iā€™ve been reading the sight and thought this would be a good place to post and get more information.

This is a an image of her Santa Domingo Thunderbird.

Thanks in advance
Kate

2 Likes