AMAZING cuff and ring, need help with hallmark

I recently aquired (in Arizona) a beautiful cuff bracelet and ring with the same hallmark. I’ve searched high and low for the maker to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

15 Likes

@Shee What an amazing acquisition! Either would be outstanding on their own, but together, eye popping! I am not a snake person, but would have made an exception on these.

2 Likes

no id here.
&
nothing found yet in Hougarts 5th edition

6 Likes

Our favorite thorny devil!! Really neat cuff and whopper ring! I love the turquoise. nice find.

10 Likes

I’m glad you mentioned that! I’ve seen that mark on the Amerindien site, and thought it looked like a demon head…I’d rather think of it as a horned lizard head :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Yowza! Those are some giant pieces of turquoise. I like them together! I was trying to remember where I’ve seen that mark, and it was on the Amerindien site as unknown (thanks @Steve ).
I’ve seen other pieces with similar snakes, but am not able to link them in my brain to any particular artist.

Welcome to the forum! You will learn a lot on here if you read up.

I’m loving the “not for sale” sticker :laughing:

5 Likes

And to clarify, I’m not talking about the obvious snake pieces by, for example, Effie Calavaza, I’m thinking about items with a big stone with the snake’s head barely sticking out over it.

1 Like

Amazing ring and cuff.
Is there anything below the hallmark?
I enlarged the photo and it kind of looks like some letters and animals.

2 Likes

17 Likes

@Shee Wow, these are outstanding! Being a snake jewelry person, I’m awed by such a great find. Hope you enjoy wearing this cuff & ring for years to come.

1 Like

@Ziacat the “not for sale” sticker was what attracted me to the pieces! Ha ha. I figured if they weren’t for sale they must be special. I bought them at auction so no clue where they came from.

5 Likes

@fernwood Good catch… from the naked eye you can’t see anything below the hallmark however, I’m now noticing there are some VERY faint markings … though I’m not sure they are intentional. I will try to look with a magnifying lense

2 Likes

Oh my. Automatic weight lifting whenever he gets worn…

2 Likes

@Ziacat I thought the hallmark looked like a zombie Buffalo :joy:

3 Likes

True story! Ha ha It is HEAVY @Ziacat

2 Likes

I tried enlarging with Photoshop, but the photo was too blurry.

I also remember this bugeyed Bull hallmark! Sounds like everyone is using the same resources for hallmark research. I don’t have the most recent Hougart, but as I recall I’ve found some hallmarks on the Art-Amerindian site not found in Hougarts (in the past). Likely different now, but I tend to use Art-Amerindian first before heading to the library for Hougarts!

2 Likes

And I don’t yet have a Hougarts, but I have a book on Hopi silversmithing that has hallmarks. I start with the Amerindian and Medicine Man Gallery sites, and then look online at reputable places for similar hallmarks on similar items. Because Amerindian does have some mistakes.

Oh, and of course, I also use the search bar on this site. I have found quite a bit that way.

4 Likes

Did you try Native American Jewelry Forum on Facebook? They have quite a few experts there.

2 Likes

I have not tried that, thank you for the suggestion! @SilverWolf