Another gem and mineral show today

B4 & after adjustment for indoor lighting. now the colors POP

2 Likes

Thanks @Steve !
You captured the colors perfectly!
What kind of witchy magic did you perform here??? Haha!

My cell phone camera is notorious for making turquoise look weird!

photoshop - adjust lighting by sampling the areas in between the cabs that should/could be white every other color follows the same correction.
if I sampled the heavy shadow still seen next to some of the cabs the colors got blown out

3 Likes

@Stracci Your ring in the 1st photo!! Such a great turquoise stone & design! Did you create the ring? Our Gem & Mineral Society’s annual show is this weekend Oct 13-15. Hubby & I will be there - we’ve been going to it for years. Always a fun event & you never know what you’ll find there!

2 Likes

Thank you @Steve!
My husband has Photoshop too, but I never asked him how to use it. Maybe I should for any future photos!

Yes, I made that ring in the first photo, and it is Bisbee. That’s why it was fun to show it with that big Bisbee specimen!
Here is a thread with some of my creations, in case you want to slog through it, it’s rather long with lots of photos.

Turquoise jewelry I recently made

3 Likes

And just for laughs @Stracci , what were they asking for that Bisbee doorstop?

2 Likes

@StevesTrail
I didn’t see a price on it.
But judging from the other fist sized nuggets beside it, they probably wanted too much!

It’s really hard to find great Bisbee. From what I read on Wikipedia, John Hartman (Durango Silver Co) bought up the remainder of the super high grade rough. He cabs it and sells it on his Instagram page (NaturalTurquoise)for $$$ per piece.

So unfortunately, that stuff is unattainable to me.
The few cabs I found were old stock in a local antique mall.

2 Likes

Miso is helping with my new designs

8 Likes

Very pretty design. I like the pendant in upper left. Do you make jewelry for yourself and family or do you also sell? You picked out some beautiful Turquoise.

1 Like

How bout this for some expensive Bisbee…Bisbee Turquoise Squash Blossom Set Malouf on the Plaza

I remember the that beautiful ring. I bet that was a fun show. You got some amazing stuff!

1 Like

I made that pendant earlier this year. The stone is water web Kingman.
I used to sell, but it got too stressful. I only make jewelry for myself now.
It’s way more fun that way!

Ridiculous pricing, right?
Malouf’s is for tourists! It’s like a museum in there.

I’ve actually never been in there, but can tell online that they look pretty high end. I imagine this is extremely overpriced, but those stones look pretty awesome. I did actually shop in Ortega’s on the plaza in Santa Fe, and bought a pair of Ira Custer earrings that I didn’t feel were too much; unfortunately they’re a little heavy for me to wear often. They had some beautiful pieces with amazing bisbee stones.

I am fortunate to have a ring and a buckle with Bisbee. I don’t think the stones are super special in the ring, but I still like it. The stone in the buckle seems pretty nice.

Pretty Miso! You clearly have raised her right.

1 Like

@Ziacat
Every store/restaurant in Santa Fe is outlandish, just sayin’!
Super high priced!
Did you show those Ira Custer earrings? I’ll go back to the earring thread and look for them.
Edit: I think I see them, the tufa cast crosses? They look heavy! Very cool looking!

Miso is a boy, and he likes to plant his butt in anything I’m doing!

1 Like

@Stracci Wow, I’m impressed with your jewelry creations! You have a keen eye for stones, and your designs are simply beautiful. Artistic quality in all respects. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Well that may be true, but I still LOVE some of the restaurants like the Shed and Maria’s New Mexican Kitchen, yum.

Yes those are the ones. I shouldn’t have bought them, they’re really too heavy, but I do wear them once in a while.

My apologies, Mr. Miso :grin:

1 Like

Thanks @Patina !
I have so much fun making jewelry.
It is very satisfying, especially the final polish!

1 Like

:Seeing the beautiful stones at your recent Gem and Mineral Show is exciting. I can hardly wait for our club’s show next weekend. For anyone coming to CT to see the fall colors, don’t miss the 51st Gem and Mineral Show next Sat & Sun in Bristol CT.

1 Like

I have a greater respect for jewelry makers since I tried my hand at lapidary a few days ago. Our club has a workshop set up and they will teach you how to operate the machines safely… Someone had donated some Montana Agate for people learning, After cutting the shape, smoothing the rough edges, shaping the dome, polishing it, 3 hours later I had made my first pendant. I started out thinking I would make a quarter moon, but as I polished more I began to see more in the stone. The white glimmered in places like snow covered pines. And the brown reminded me of a winter sky at evening. So I turned the piece 90 degrees and that is what I got. It takes patience. It was also my first time using power tools. I think I will get more confidence as we continue. All in all it was fun.

5 Likes