Turquoise jewelry I recently made

Years ago, a woman from Zuni Pueblo taught me silversmithing. When I get inspired, I make my own jewelry. Here are some pieces I made recently. I purchased the stones at a local gem show here in New Mexico.

This is Royston.

This is Morenci.

This one is #8

This pendant is also Royston

26 Likes

Beautiful. Some day I will have time to get back into silver smithing.

2 Likes

Very nice work and I love the stones!!!

1 Like

Thanks @fernwood and @joebig
I really love making jewelry! It is my escape.
I have a piece of bird’s eye Kingman waiting to be set!
Trying to decide what to do with it.

4 Likes

Beautiful!! So cool.

And I’m jealous that it sounds like you live in NM…at least my nephew lives there and we have another excuse to visit! :grin:

1 Like

Yes, I live in NM, where we LOVE our turquoise!
It’s super easy to buy jewelry making supplies and turquoise locally.

2 Likes

I live in IN and I love your turquoise too! LOL
And your green chile, posole, carne adovada, and on and on…

My nephew lives in ABQ and we have so much fun hanging out there. Bought a beautiful sandcast cuff at Cowboys and Indians Antiques last summer.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m in ABQ!
It’s a very vibrant city with lots of food, art, music, and my personal favorite… jewelry!

2 Likes

Love your work! It is wonderful that you are able to create and do something you love!
Every year I think about making a weekend trip to the balloon festival. Haven’t made it yet, but maybe someday.

3 Likes

Beautiful! Really nice workmanship.

1 Like

Beautiful work. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Great work, @Stracci!

I’ve been thinking of learning to make jewelry. I buy enough of it; might be more cost effective to make it myself. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, I do save a lot of money making my own jewelry.
When I go into a jewelry store, I look at the pricing and laugh. Retail prices are just ridiculous!
I basically go into jewelry stores just to get ideas, anyway.
It’s so much fun choosing my own stones and working out my own designs!

3 Likes

I admire what you do, but it would cost me more to make my own cause I have no idea how! :joy:

I’m sure it must be a wonderful feeling to wear something you made. But I also buy Native American because it’s truly an American art, and I want to support them this way. I don’t mind spending what I can afford for these reasons.

And I hear what you are saying about retail, but coming from a family that used to own a furniture store, there are a lot of expenses to run a business so prices reflect that. But I admit, I don’t buy much jewelery in Santa Fe!!

2 Likes

that #8 turquoise ring is great! Love that you made your own bezel rather than using the thin commercial bezel, seeing nice stones in the flimsy bezel makes me crazy.

2 Likes

@Khmetalwork

I’m glad you like it!
Yeah, I wanted to make a bold and sturdy ring.
The bezel is 18 gauge. I gave it a brushed finish with steel wool.

4 Likes

It’s great! makes me want to clean off my bench and get back to work…tho, if I set my stones i won’t be able to play with them. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Here’s a ring I made today. I’ve had this stone for a long time. I was told it was Sleeping Beauty, but I’m not sure.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing that! So cool to see the different steps you took.

3 Likes

@Ziacat
I think it’s fun to show the process. I’m really interested in jewelry construction. I love to see the back and undersides of jewelry pieces, and hear about different techniques.

2 Likes