Antique Sterling cicada brooch

Here’s a fun find from the pawn shop recently.
A French silver cicada brooch.

It has the boar’s head assay mark for .800 silver, and a maker’s mark that says J D.
The marks are impossibly tiny! The pawn shop guys never saw them.

A knowledgeable friend tells me that cicadas are the symbol for Provence, and these brooches are worn by ladies on traditional folk attire.
Anyway, I had to have it! The clasp is broken, so I will secure it with a rubber earring back on the pin part.

I did some research, and I think the maker is Jean Dupre, active 1879-1891

19 Likes

Oh my gosh! That’s crazy real looking. I love it; I really like cicadas. When I was little I picked up a dead one and put it in a little box and kept it for years. Call me crazy.

4 Likes

That is very cool! We have them so bad here sometimes it’s hard to have a conversation over the noise!

4 Likes

You’re crazy! LoL :rofl:
But that’s something I would’ve done, too!

4 Likes

Great find. Very detailed. I like it.

3 Likes

@nanc9354
They had trays and trays of assorted sterling brooches and other items. I was interested, but I got distracted by an antique English ladle, which I bought.
But later that day, I got to thinking about this brooch, and so I ran back the next morning grab it!

4 Likes

Amazing detail. Cicadas are among my favorite bugs.

5 Likes

This is beautiful :smiley: I love vintage pieces like this. The detail on the wings is so cool. Lovely find Stracci.

1 Like

I think I have a cicada in Jadeite but your piece made me think of this antique gold beetle pin I had many years ago that had an actual beetle inside. I had no idea it was a real until one day I decided to look at it with a loupe. I couldn’t tell you where it is now though.

1 Like

@CyanideRose18
Yes! Iridescent beetles are used in jewelry…I had a pair of earrings that were beautiful metallic blue green, made from beetle wings.
I couldn’t get over the ick factor, so I sold them.
(I used to have a booth in an antique mall.)

1 Like

Oh my gosh Stracci, now I feel better. I was totally wigged out by it too. I am the same with the morning pieces that hair and stuff in them.

2 Likes

I had some earrings with real butterfly wings in them, but I gave them away as a gift to someone. They were pretty cool.

2 Likes

This brooch is spectacular.

1 Like

I love this!
I’ve pulled many live cicadas from my dogs mouth, anyone else’s dog pick up cicadas?

4 Likes

We had dogs when I was a kid, and I don’t remember them eating them. But a cat we had years ago was an indoor/outdoor cat, and if she saw one on the ground she would go sit by it. She would stare at it and then look at me like, “are you going to do something about this thing?”

My cat now chases down spiders and eats them :nauseated_face: so maybe she’d chase cicadas if she got a chance

2 Likes

Gorgeous and very Art Nouveau. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

That is just beautiful—and the underside is so detailed too—what exquisite craftsmanship. It’s a treasure :two_hearts:

Incidentally, I discovered the Provence/cicada connection a few weeks back because I was puzzled as to why some Provençal tablecloths had a “bug” pattern printed on them :laughing: There’s even a business that sells these tablecloths called La Cigale (the cicada).

2 Likes

@chamekke
It’s so interesting, isn’t it? I love the art Nouveau stylings.

1 Like