Beetle brooch

Is this a beetle or June bug or something else? Is there any way of telling which insect it is? Do y’all think it is Navajo? Just trying to figure out what it might symbolize. image|375x500

4 Likes

It symbolizes “really cute pin for the tourist trade.” I love these vintage Navajo insect pins. I’ve seen them sold as a bug, insect, beetle, flying beetle, and fly. I guess an entomologist would make the distinction according to number of legs, but resellers take liberty.

3 Likes

I am a sucker for insect jewelry! Gotta love those bugs! Btw all insects have 6 legs. Spiders have 8. Sorry, I couldn’t help myself! I really do like bugs. When I find them in the house, I always relocate instead of kill. The only exception to my rule are cockroaches. Poor cockroaches!

3 Likes

That’s adorable and I love the raised wings! I agree, the NA bug pins are really cute. Going to guess a house fly.

Here’s an ant, for comparison:

3 Likes

Oh my! It’s adorable. Now I am on the lookout for an ant!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@chris it was my grandmother’s. Now I’m inspired to look for insect pins and see what’s out there!

2 Likes

My Spider :blush:

3 Likes

I love that! It looks so creepy with the long legs and fangs. My spider has much shorter legs, and I am almost certain his abdomen is glass. But, I still love him.

My grandmother was my inspiration for collecting jewelry. I used to play in her treasure chest shaped jewelry box every time I went to see her. It was full of all marvelous sorts of costume jewelry! I now have several pieces of her turquoise as well!

4 Likes

It is interesting to see that even though these bug and spider pins may be considered tourist jewelry, the styles are still quite varied. So maybe not so much of a mass-made tourist item.

1 Like

This is a corn beetle

2 Likes

Yeah, tourist isn’t all drop press material, can still involve an individual Navajo artisan employee.

1 Like

Without any stones…

8 Likes

Awww, it’s a grasshopper! I think.:slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Relocating bugs? I lived in New Orleans for 3 years. Their state symbol is the cockroach.

I hear you. I lived in Houston for 15 years. I have no love for the cockroach or mosquitoes.