Belt Buckles & Concho Belts

So I already gave @OrbitOrange the mic drop, guess you get a standing O? Gorgeous!

1 Like

Father and son set of Effie C♥️

11 Likes

Thank you @TAH, the Simplicio buckle is what started my turquoise journey. I spent so much time in different shops and trading posts across the Southwest trying to learn more about it. After my dad died when I was 16, my mom gave me the buckle because she felt funny wearing something with a snake on it. Unfortunately I hadn’t listened to him enough about it, and all I had were his many notes and info to go on. But at least we had those! He was very meticulous about everything he bought, because he owned a furniture store and bought a lot of antiques for display. And he always wrote down and asked everything he could about each item.

I think the turquoise in the other sandcast buckle (the Simplicio buckle is also cast) is Bisbee :crossed_fingers:. I sent it out to a store in ABQ to get the stone tightened, and the owner called me back to ask me if I had any idea what the stone was; she believed it was Bisbee. I had almost kept wearing it even with the loose stone - so glad I didn’t.

2 Likes

So beautiful, love them!!

2 Likes

Any thoughts on what turquoise this is?

I’m not very good at guessing. The other stone you posted just really looked like some Kingman that I had. I don’t know how old your buckles are, or if there’s any pyrite in the stones. My snake buckle that I posted near the beginning of this may have Morenci turquoise (that was the thought of some other knowledgeable people who had looked at it for me in the past). Hopefully someone else who is more expert than I am on that will chime in about yours.

3 Likes

Since this @TAH’s thread, and permission was given to post other buckles😁, I am posting some more (just cause they’re kinda fun). Not rodeo ones, but mostly some 70’s brass ones. The top 3 were buckles my parents bought in the early 70’s at an art fair in MN (one is scrimshaw). Decades later I found most of the rest at a shop in Mackinaw City, MI. The owner said he happened upon a barrel that had bunches of them (old new stock). Most were made at Indiana Metal Craft in Bloomington, and some at Bergamot Brass works in WI.

Still love my turquoise ones the best!

5 Likes

Those are cool, Ziacat! They would make a nice display. The 70s was certainly “the decade of the buckle”. Thanks for posting them! :+1:

2 Likes

It would be fun display, but I’d have to be able to get to them…I actually wear them quite often.

Funny thing, once we were taking the tour at Glen Canyon Dam, and our guide was a Navajo gentleman. I had on the pewter bucking bronc (which my hubby calls my kitschy buckle) from the bottom row. He loved it and wondered where I got it. Of all places, I got it our little small town country fair!

2 Likes

@Ziacat I love the scrimshaw one! A while back I almost bought a scrimshaw bracelet but didn’t know anything about it or if it was authentic. It would be cool if we could start a new thread just about scrimshaw!

2 Likes

Who is the
Maker of this one ?? Looks very similar to a belt that i have and i can not fond the maker

1 Like

@Vladinard Belt is not hallmarked, which is common for a 1940s piece. Would love to see your belt. Can you post a photo?

1 Like

The one on the left is the one i think it looks similar

7 Likes

Yes, I can see the similarity in the left belt. They’re both beautiful classic designs! :+1:

1 Like

I’m still waiting on the @Bmpdvm Skeet belt and the @RedlandMaggie rodeo buckles. :wink:

2 Likes

Oop, sorry - got a little distracted by life. Mine are a mishmash of tourist (received when volunteering) and whatnot.

7 Likes

Some buckle i got

6 Likes

Love them! I see a Cheyenne Frontier Days buckle…woohoo!

2 Likes

Thank you, it’s carved on a deer antler. I hadn’t worn it for a bit, so put it on today. I love Bighorn Sheep; still looking for a Native American piece with a Bighorn on it. Almost bought a Hopi pendant with one, but got something different instead. Guess that’s my one that got away!

2 Likes

@TAH…Oh my gosh, thanks for the reminder; I got distracted by a couple things, but will photograph and share the belt when I get home. I’d love the hear your opinion. And…I need to order the book. I’m getting ready to drive to Arizona for the Heard Guild Indian Market. And plan to go by Oogs Hogan😊

3 Likes