Belt Buckles & Concho Belts

Nice collection with some interesting pieces. I like the fourth buckle on the top row. Is it real rattle snake skin? Thanks for the photo!

1 Like

No worries! Feel free to post it after you return. Enjoy your trip!

Good looking rodeo buckles! Thank you for sharing. I like the shape of the Georgia National buckle.

Here is my only Western buckle, but it is the most special buckle I own. In the summer of 1950, my father worked on a guest ranch in Estes Park, CO. While there, he purchased this buckle and wore it throughout his life. He gave it to me a couple of years ago. Today, he’s a healthy 93 years old.

Made by Renalde Bit & Spur Company, Denver, CO. Renalde went out of business in the early 1980s. Solid nickel silver, bronze mounted, and hand engraved.

12 Likes

It’s so beautiful! I love the design. And I totally understand why it’s special. Having the snake buckle from my dad just feels like everytime I wear it I have a little bit of him with me. But it’s extra special your dad gets to see you wear it; I imagine that means a lot to him! So cool he worked at a guest ranch. My dad bought his in WY while we were on the way to a guest ranch. He would have loved talking to your dad. I think in his dreams he was a cowboy…

2 Likes

Oh my, that’s a boatload of buckles! Must have been fun to collect them.

1 Like

Thanks Ziacat! My father wanted a horse since he was a kid. He grew up with the Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers. The guest ranch job sealed the deal. We’ve been a horse family since 1966.

Sounds like your father was a cool guy, who had good taste in belt buckles. It doesn’t matter if he owned a horse or not. Being a cowboy comes from the heart, so yeah, your dad was a cowboy. :+1:

My father and mother also wore turquoise buckles. I’ll take a photo and get them posted.

2 Likes

Yes please! Post them, fun to see where we on here got our love of turquoise. I will see if I can find one of my folks. Dad loved being at the ranch, but never actually got on a horse. I think he was a little scared of them. But after the ranch my mother and I began taking riding lessons together (she rode into her 80’s) and he enjoyed hearing about it. Lucky you being a horse family!

Can I just say this forum is so nice to escape into for a bit, what with all the horror on the news.

2 Likes

Have a wonderful time. If you have any $ left after the Heard, you’ll spend it at Ogg’s…

Remember, we expect you to post your purchases! :grin:

Top: My mother’s buckle, Navajo, late 1960s
Bottom left: My father’s buckle, Navajo, Al Joe, mid 1970s
Bottom right: My “Leekya-style” buckle, possible shop mark, Navajo or Zuni?, mid 1970s

All buckles were purchased in the same time frames.

11 Likes

These are my belts & buckles - they came to me from my mom’s estate, I especially like the heavily stamped oval buckle with the circle of turquoise.

13 Likes

@Khmetalwork Some very nice examples there! I agree the stamped oval buckle is a beauty! I’m guessing the bottom sandcast buckle is by Mary Cayatineto. My wife has the same buckle with different stone settings.

7 Likes

Oh, yes…same hallmark. Do you have a guess to value?

3 Likes

I would guess $300-$350.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for letting me know

1 Like

@TAH @Ziacat thanks you guys…it’s a long ride, but will be worth it. We’re going to Oogs before the Heard Show…dangerous I’m sure!

4 Likes

I committed to something before I knew about the Heard show, kicking myself. What is Oogs?

1 Like

IMHO, Ogg’s Hogan in Prescott is one of the best shops for vintage NA jewelry and art in the country.

3 Likes

Agree with @TAH . Ogg’s Hogan in downtown Prescott, AZ, right off the town square, is one of my favorite shopping stops when I’m visiting AZ. We just stumbled on it once, and since then have bought a couple beautiful cuffs, a ring, and a Navajo pictorial rug. They have such fun old stuff; wanted to buy some used cowboy boots once, but they didn’t fit.

My understanding is that the owner, Jeff, worked for the Fred Harvey Company at the Hopi House at the Grand Canyon for 25 years, and then opened the Prescott Ogg’s in 1998. His Grandparents ran the original Ogg’s Hogan in Wickenburg, AZ.

Whenever he’s been there when we visited, he spent a lot of time chatting with us, and informing me about Native American art.

4 Likes

AMAZING buckles. I especially am drawn to the top one. I misunderstood - I was thinking you meant you’d post a pic of your parents wearing them. I have a pic somewhere with my mom wearing the belt that she bought in '69. I might post it and see if any of you can figure out where we are at in the picture just for fun.

3 Likes

Is there a proper term for a series of conchas that are hooked each side of a ring and then hooked on one end to the size of the wearer? IOW not on a leather belt but on their own? This is one my parents got in the 1950s in AZ. I’ve also been trying to figure out what the stamps mean but I get easily distracted by the similarities.

US

5 Likes