Birds, birds, and more birds

@zicat that is the flicker (woodpecker) it it has orange feathers nested of yellow around here and that wood make perfect sensefor that design

1 Like

I thought it looked like a woodpecker! I just tried to pick a good picture of a woodpecker facing in the same direction as the pendant. We have Northern Flickers here in our yard quite a bit. I’m a bit of a bird watcher. If you like birds, the Audubon app for the phone is amazing.

1 Like

I do I basically am one when I dance :joy: I love Audubon thanks I’ll check that out

1 Like

Are you guys all out of birds already? :rofl:
I have more.

Two little pairs of mid century Zuni bird earrings. Blue gem inlay, converted from clips, and petit point, still clips:

I need to clean up the petit point fellas a little. And two pendants: my little Hopi bird by Ted Wadsworth that matches @CyanideRose18 ’s larger pendant, with Hopi Guild hallmark. And a larger pendant by Allan Pooyouma:

9 Likes

Well now, if we are out, I guess we’ll just have to buy some more :grin: Since you posted your little earrings, I remembered I have one more little tiny pair of bird earrings I’ll have to find.

What beautiful birds, OrbitOrange. I especially love the pendant on the right.

2 Likes

@OrbitOrange , your pieces are all gorgeous! I especially love the colourful earrings at the top and the pendant at lower right.

If I may contribute some more Canadian west coast First Nations birds, I can keep the thread going :wink: But please do tell me if I’m pulling us too far off-course!

There are two tiny pieces I forgot to mention upthread. First, a small eagle pendant by Gilbert Pat (1945-) of the Sto:lo: (Coast Salish) First Nation:

These wide-eyed hummingbird post earrings are by Hollie Bartlett (1963-) of the Haisla First Nation:

Lastly, a couple of earring sets by Travis Henry (1964-) of the Cowichan (Quw’utsun) First Nation – these were originally posted to another thread:

Raven earrings:

Eagle earrings:

Most of my First Nations silver jewellery involves things other than birds – sun, moon, orca, bear, sea otter, the copper. It’s odd that I don’t have a thunderbird!.. yet.

10 Likes

They’re perfect for this thread, more birds! We love birds!
Seriously, those are beautiful. I’m dying for those little hummingbirds…

1 Like

They are cute, aren’t they? So solemn!

1 Like

Hummingbirds feeding on a flower on a pin/pendant by Sanford Edaakie

7 Likes

In honour of Canada goose fan @Ziacat , here’s a Canada Goose sterling cuff by Kelvin Thompson:

I hadn’t heard of Mr Thompson until I spotted this piece online – evidently this artist is Saulteaux (Ojibwe) with Haisla and Kwakwaka’wakw influences.

Canada geese aren’t traditional subjects in the Canadian west coast First Nations art that I’m familiar with, which makes this all the more delightful.

7 Likes

I really, really, REALLY love this cuff. Thanks for posting it!

Here is my avatar in all his glory…

…watching over the Ontario town of Wawa (it was a weeee bit foggy that morning). So y’all can thank him for this bird thread :grin:

4 Likes

This is really pretty! Makes me think of my hummingbird on the flower I posted at the beginning of the thread.

1 Like

i think it’s the semi-saguaro in the background. :smiley:

Do you on mean my pin? That’s what I was referring to. That would make sense. It does kinda look like the painting.
Screenshot_20240203-114757

5 Likes

Love, love, LOVE, your avatar, FH Thunderbird…exceptional! And the Bobby Shank bolo ain’t too shabby😉. This post has been so much fun, so much great bird jewelry, but there’s something about thunderbirds!

4 Likes

@chamekke I am really liking your First Nations silver!

@chicfarmer Here are some pieces to go with your Bobby Shack thunderbird bolo!

9 Likes

My hummingbird ring I posted earlier is by Bobby Shack, so can I have your Thunderbirds to go with my hummingbird :laughing:

Those are awesome AC!

2 Likes

Holy Moly! This is a long thread! Lol! I never caught that the hummingbird was by Bobby Shack! I’m sure it was because that amazing inlaid eagle had me all mesmerized!

2 Likes

Sorry to be so late to this wonderful bird show and tell party! So much wonderful and diverse bird pieces… I’ll add a few of mine, some older, some more contemporary:

This first piece is by Robert Begay, son of Daryl Dean and Rebecca Begay and already an award winner:

Zuni red headed blackbird by Harlan & Monica Coonsis:

Older, unsigned inlay Thunderbird:

Older unsigned doubleheaded Thunderbird pendant:

Unsigned Thunderbird:

And then, just for fun, I’ll add this guy. Purchased years ago at the Marin CA Art of the Americas show. Unfortunately I can’t remember the artist (Jolene Eustace?) but all the pieces were made with interesting stones, fossils and shell.

I’ve rarely worn this guy, but he just makes me smile

11 Likes

Thanks, we all love birds apparently!

The ring has been through the ringer :grin: We were on our way to stay a night in Steamboat Springs, and had major car trouble on the way (that was a crazy scary story in and of itself; we’re blessed we didn’t have a major wreck), and had to be towed into town. We had no car, and ended up staying there 2 nights. I found the ring and fell in love with it, but wasn’t sure I should buy it since we didn’t know how much all of our problems were going to cost. Fortunately we didn’t have to spend as much as we thought … so I bought the ring! And then of course all the other issues I mentioned in the previous post. Poor ring!

1 Like