Birds, birds, and more birds

I was just getting ready to add that one; since it’s kinda quiet at our house for a bit this gives me some entertainment :laughing:. I didn’t call her a “real” bird, she’s her own special species. Maybe in the same family as yours!

When I bought her, Mary’s husband said she had never done one quite like it. It’s a pin/pendant which fits on some of my thin heishi necklaces, but I usually tie it on with a leather cord more like a choker. It’s pretty big; covers the palm of my hand.

8 Likes

I like it!
BTW, I stopped in at the Estate sale where I got the Hummer pin/pendant today. I told the sisters their late mother’s pin was your inspiration for a bird segment on Turquoise People Forum. They were so happy. I have a few other bird pieces I will photo for you shortly.

3 Likes

Oh, that makes me happy! I forgot it was someone’s mother’s pin; I can relate to that. The quail pin above was my mom’s favorite.

Definitely, let us see your birds!

2 Likes

These are beautiful. The inlaid bracelet is exceptional. The Zuni inlaid is fascinating. The artists work with such tiny fragments, what skill!!!

4 Likes

Ooooh. Very nice. Almost looks like it belongs on the cover of that book.

3 Likes

Thank you! That’s kinda what I was thinking. I have that book on my coffee table, looked down and thought, hmmmm…she will look good on this :laughing:

2 Likes

Love this Mary bird. I hope to find time soon to add some stuff to this wonderful thread.

4 Likes

Thanks! This is the one of her pieces that I wear that gets the most comments. Although a lot of the people want to know if I made it :joy:

And I still have some Thunderbirds to add eventually.

2 Likes

I know this is off topic from the birds, but I was looking up some info on your Hopi artists in my book, and it got me thinking. First, here is what I have in case you haven’t seen this.

Then I remembered that I bought these little guys at the Eiteljorg years ago with the same hallmark as your roadrunner piece.

There are two artists who use the same hallmark, Walter Polelonema, and his nephew, Raymie Namingha.

My earrings do not have the NR, but I’m assuming they are by the nephew, simply because I bought them well after Walter Polelonema died (although I really have no indication from the Eiteljorg of how old they are - just assumed they were newer).

Anyway, interesting.

3 Likes

OK my contributions:

Bobby Shack, Zuni, thunderbird bolo with interesting stones inc. tortoise shell.

Myra Tucson or Frank Vacit, Zuni, Hopi bird/thunderbird bolo.

Mary Tafoya, Kewa, bird pendant on heishe.
TAFOYA BIRD

Fred Harvey era Navajo thunderbird pin, big fella. Sold by the Fred Harvey shop Detours in La Fonda.

THUNDERBIRD QUARTER

13 Likes

Oh my, LOVE it all! And I remember your Mary bird!

The FH bird is your avatar, right? He’s too cool. Last time we were in Santa Fe, I was looking at some pieces in that shop, but had already spent quite a bit so didn’t buy. Maybe next time.

Love both bolos, they are magnificent, but am partial to the first, and not just cause that’s the same artist as my hummingbird bird ring I posted above :grin: Hope you haven’t had as much trouble keeping track of yours :joy:

Thanks for sharing!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, and yes, the Harvey Tbird is my avatar. I’m not a FH collector, but I love the early pieces.

Luckily no digging to find bolos; they have comfy accommodations in their own special drawer. :laughing:

3 Likes

Okay, no more good looking eagle or thunderbird pins please. Only ugly ones. I’m getting the urge to spend money. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yes…the same hallmark is on my roadrunner pin. The butterfly just says Polequaptewa….I assumed it was an early version of Riley. This is the first time I heard of Alaric…

2 Likes

Beautiful birds and hiesha necklace.

2 Likes

I got one bird pendant photographed. I think it is a jay, I may be wrong. Signed. . Included quarter and the hummer pendant for size comparison. Others coming. Have a good evening.

9 Likes

Nice one! Dennis and Nancy Edaakie are very collectable and I love their roadrunners with the little cactuses in the background—so cute!

3 Likes

Yep, that right thar is an adorable roadrunner with a saguaro and a prickly pear. What a wonderful pendant, thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

That FH eagle pin is killer; I’ve always admired it. I don’t normally seek out the tourist stuff either, but when they’re this fantastic I do. Great hand stamping with those cool and unique rain cloud designs, an unusual taller rounder shape, great Blue Gem eye—I just love him.

3 Likes

Thank you. As I was getting the photo ready to post I said to my husband, “you don’t think this Jay is a Roadrunner do you?” We are Easterners, haven’t ever seen a Roadrunner… This site is very educational.

2 Likes