Bolo and Buckle by Johnny Bluejay

Just purchased a bolo tie and belt buckle both by Johnny Bluejay. They should arrive in a few days but wanted to show them off. Bolo is 87 grams 3x21/2 and buckle is 31/2x3. notice the bear (above the turquoise stone on the belt and on top of the badger claw on the bolo)

bluejay_buckle1 bluejay_buckle1

9 Likes

Those are some manly pieces, Joe. I like them! Those little bears are too cool. I wouldn’t have seen them had you not pointed them out. What makes you think that is a badger claw on the bolo, not bear? I was thinking all three claws are bear.

1 Like

The seller said they were badger claws on both the bolo and the buckle. Maybe because of the size??? I liked the rough stones on these.

I figured they were bear claws, hence the little bears. Power of suggestion, I guess. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have read descriptions of rough turquoise referred to as “sea foam” turquoise, but I’m not sure when that term is correct.

When I think of sea foam turquoise I think of a bubbly appearance to the stone, if that makes any sense Tom. Rough to me is more a mixture of turquoise and other minerals and not the smooth looking polished stone.
Maybe others can chime in on this.

1 Like

“I have read descriptions of rough turquoise referred to as “sea foam” turquoise, but I’m not sure when that term is correct.”

Seafoam nugget literally has a bubbly appearance. The stones in the buckle and bola look like ‘Seafoam’, perhaps from the Fox mine.

Definitely black bear claws.

3 Likes

Thank you Michael for the explanation and expertise.

1 Like

Anyone have a guesstimate on age? they look pretty old. Hougart’s just says deceased for Johnny Bluejay so not sure when he passed.

Seafoam turquoise is a postwar thing (maybe 50s, for sure 1960s), the same timeframe as the vogue for claw jewelry. This turquoise is properly described as seafoam in type. “Rough” is correctly used not for natural-profile stones, or to describe texture of a finished set stone, but rather for the material that will undergo lapidary work–cutting, shaping, polishing–to turn it into prepared cabs/nuggets for setting.

I think this is likely 1960s-1970s.

Thanks chicfarmer, I figured they were around that timeframe.

Moscow Hide and Fur sells teeth & claws,etc.from lotza species. Pics & measurements are included so it might be fun to check 'em out.
Just in case…yeah,I’d really like the complete set of grizzly claws :blush:

Both neat pieces! What is the design atop the buckle? One element looks like a bear?

Other than the bear above the the stone I’m not sure what the other shapes could be or represent. Maybe others will give their opinions.

Hi Everyone, I don’t want to be a downer but I don’t want anyone to get in trouble either. In MOST states in the US the buying and selling of bear claws/parts is very illegal. The news is full of cases right now of people being arrested for the sale of bear claw jewelry.
If you are a tribal member then the regs change for you. If you legally shoot the bear and wear it yourself then the regs change for you too. But buying and selling outside of that is very dangerous and carries fines and prison depending on your state. And the authorities are watching. Being a career policeman I quit making Bear claw anything when the laws changed and I even refuse to work on it anymore unless the claw is resin. If you think about it if I want to sell my stock of bear claw jewelry illegally then of coarse I would tell you it’s badger so I can get you to buy it. Here is some photos to help you decide what you are buying. Notice badger claw is proportionally longer and is thinner than bear. Bear is stout, circular and comes in light and dark shades. Both have a pithy center but resin claws do not.
THE PHOTOS 1. Bear 2. Badger 3. Most everything :slight_smile:
Bear

Claws
Hope this helps. Buy smart and Stay safe !! Kyle

9 Likes

Excellent post, Kyle. The good news is that so many pieces of claw jewelry have resin lookalikes and not the real thing. But as buyers and sellers we absolutely need to consider the ethics and laws that are pertinent.

1 Like

Thank you Kyle for the heads up on the selling/buying of bear claws. It will make me more diligent in my purchasing. As the seller has said these are badger claws and I bought them as such I will take them at their word but I will be much more suspicious in the future.

@joebig Hi Joe,

I was looking at eBay “Completed Auctions” and came across this belt buckle by Johnny Bluejay and remembered this thread. Pretty cool. I’ve never seen anything like it. He is very talented!

Also check your PM. I sent you a message. Thanks!

4 Likes

Beautiful work! That is quite unique