Books on Southwest Indian Jewelry?

Hi AC,

Our Half Priced Books never has anything that good. :confused:

Ironically, just today, I read an article in a recent Arizona Highways magazine on the life and times of Ray Manley. I’m assuming that book is pretty nice with great photography. I might need to look for that one on eBay.

That kachina book is right up my alley too.

I was working in the neighboring city of Frisco, Texas. Apparently I’ve picked the local stores clean. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes!! Many full page glossy photos…here’s one on Hopi overlay, but don’t tell anyone I uploaded it…It wasn’t me!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks @AC! There were/are several Arizona Highways photographers, who really excel in photographing Indian jewelry. Ray was one and so is Jerry Jacka.

1 Like

Thanks @TAH, I didn’t realize he was one of the photographers for Arizona Highways magazine. I’ll see what I can find on Jerry Jacka too.

Look what I just found:

Arizona Highways Magazine, online as PDF’s, Back Editions all the way back into the 1920, FOR FREE!!!

This is the whole database
https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/aho/search

This is the January 1974 edition

https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/aho/id/524/rec/311

This is the March 1975 edition

https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/aho/id/751/rec/325

This is so awesome I made it its own post. :point_down:

6 Likes

This is a very enjoyable book. Precise, to the point, and easy to read and understand. Broken into three chapters. 1 - Arts & Crafts; 2 - Tribes; 3 - Ceremonies. One of my favorites! :+1:

5 Likes

Wow, that’s an arm full! I like to stack my bracelets!

Found this today at used book store, 44 years ago they were discussing fraudulent beads, machine cast najas, hand assembly in factories.

8 Likes

Well got 4th edition. Photo is showing 3rd on top of 4th. Have not compared, so don’t know how much difference. New one is 507 pages. I will be selling my 3rd edition.

3 Likes

@Chaparral, how much are you asking for the 3rd? I might be interested.

Wow. @Chaparral I had heard Edition 3 was far more in depth.
saw 3rd edition sale price of $ 254.00 { couldn’t find one less costly. Nope} I saw a onlineThrift store auctioning one for $35. I turned my head and it was gone!.. i have the 4th edition Would like to hear what you think between the two…Thanks! Q

I didn’t know that, thanks. I will take a look at them and see what’s up. Oh my gosh! $254? I was going to charge like $35-40…which I will still do if I decide to sell. Might be selling the new one… lol!

2 Likes

I’d also like your opinion on a comparison of the two books as I only have the 3rd edition and don’t really feel like upgrading. I could use an extra $250 though…

1 Like

I didn’t thoroughly examine them but, there is the obvious size difference. He states for the 4th ed there are 600 more photos, so maybe the size takes care of this. He added 1-2 pages on fakes. He has grouped the shops and manufacturers with their hallmarks in their own section at the end unlike edition 3 where they are interspersed. There are a lot more of them - over 20 pages worth. I do like this feature. It is still organized the same way, alphabetical with hallmarks, but a cross reference in back by initials. It still has the picto section as well. I couldn’t tell if he deleted anything. Overall I think Hougart is a good reference book whichever edition you choose.

2 Likes

I just snatched up a copy of Hougart’s 3rd edition on ebay and emailed the seller to see if he had more. He has 7 copies for anyone interested. I paid 39.99, but you might get a better deal contacting him directly. His email is Laughlin777@sbcglobal.net

2 Likes

Happy Dance :heart_eyes::star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: All three Volumes of “Zuni, The Art and the People”

4 Likes

I just got my volume 3 in the mail this week too! I’ve had volumes 1&2 for a while but hadn’t been able to find volume 3 at a reasonable price until now.

2 Likes

Yes the intro pages of the 3rd volume are a bit different. It took me a minute to find the publishing date in it. I don’t know how I stumbled into such a deal but they were $103 for the set of 3 books.

1 Like

I’ve been taking pics of the books but have yet to open them lol, see y’all later. :nerd_face:

2 Likes