Books on Southwest Indian Jewelry?

Not Zuni the art and the people. The one with free PDFs are the back editions of Arizona highways magazine.

https://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/digital/collection/aho/search

A few more older books to add to the mix - when my grandfather passed at 104 and it was time to disperse their house contents to get ready to sell, I took a few of my grandmothers books that she’d bought in the 60’s and 70’s - The Hopi book includes some hallmarks, the others more informational.

9 Likes

Those are really nice. I love the older reference books.
I finally came across one that I have been trying to find for 2 years at a decent price.

The photos are amazing. I especially like that there is pictures of the rough turquoise and the polished.

9 Likes

I have been looking for a book with pictures! Thanks for showing this one off!
Pam

1 Like

@RedlandMaggie

Last month, I purchased this book in Taos. I like it so much, today, I bought Volume Two on eBay for $2.00. Anyone else own Vol. 2? Hoping it’s as good as the first.

3 Likes

Your book, Navajo Silver by Arthur Woodward, caught my attention, so I looked it up. It was first published in 1938! I’m sure that is an interesting read. Here is a rare first edition - Link

1 Like

Holy Cow! That’s many moneys for a first edition.

1 Like

Again, late to the thread. The book that I have used the most is Trading Post Guidebook by Eddington and Makow. We travel a lot in the southwest (which is where I buy most of my Native Art), and this book has been priceless to me. But I think I need to find out if there is a new edition.

Would love to get hold of those older AZ Highways turquoise issues. I subscribe to it; maybe I should just call them.

They’re fairly easy to find on eBay and at decent prices.

1 Like

I’m thinking someone posted a link where the magazine made them available for free download, at least like 4 or 5 major turquoise issues.

2 Likes

Yep, thanks for the reminder: Link

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have to check it out. Although I’ve never actually bought anything on ebay believe it or not

1 Like

Just received this book in the mail yesterday. Price? $1.25!

9 Likes

Amazing score! This is one of the true classics. I learned so much from it, especially the interview material from old-school traders. Also, tons of classic photos of top-tier jewelry.

3 Likes

@AC. Congratulations on your set. I bought Vol I & II over 15 years ago and need the third. You’ve given me the impetus to search for the third!

Came across this terrific topic/thread last night. Just wanted to share my library of NA/Southwestern jewelry books with y’all. Years ago, I had checked out this book from our local library: “Jesse Monongye, Opal Bears and Lapis Skies”. There’s another bola tie book that I’d like to get: “Native American Bolo Ties, by Diana F. Pardue”. There are many more NA jewelry books that I want, but they tend to be sooo pricey even for paperback.

7 Likes

For anyone interested in how traditional Native American jewelry is made, Oscar Branson’s books are outstanding.

8 Likes

Oh my! Even though I have a number of those, I think I need to expand my library. But then I’m always like, but I could spend that money on other things…like NA jewelry :laughing:

It appears you have a more recent version of the Hopi silversmithing book. I definitely need to get a newer one.

And thanks, @mmrogers for the book/author suggestion.

4 Likes

That’s a great issue of American Indian Art magazine; the best one I have found from a perspective of collecting NA jewelry.

2 Likes

So, I ordered a Bille Hougart book on NA hallmarks. Being unfamiliar with his books in general, I was a bit reluctant to lay down $$$ for the most current edition. After lots of searching on the secondary market, I finally found a used, softbound copy of “Native American and Southwestern Hallmarks - Third Edition”. The book is in pristine condition. Thanks to @Steve for sharing info about Hougart books.

3 Likes