Cactus and canyons

Thanks, @Ziacat ! I’m very fond of it. I always feel like I’m looking into a huge sweeping landscape – no doubt how the woman in the foreground feels as she gazes at it.
(And on a more pragmatic note – through some miracle, this cuff fits like a dream :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

@nanc9354 Count me in.

2 Likes

So posting these earrings is kind of cheating, but I just can’t not. I pretty much wear only Native American jewelry, and the few items that I have that aren’t, are mostly handmade. These are neither :grin: But I saw them on an online site about five yrs ago, and absolutely could not resist. I should have bought 2 pair in case the posts break, and because they were so cheap. They’re pretty good sized, which makes them fun.

6 Likes

Victor Coochwytewa high desert flora and fauna, though not cacti. Animals on the one bracelet are a deer, antelope, and bunny (which doesn’t look like a bunny to me). Victor was a devoted and spiritual hunter, so he knew his animals. Corn plants decorate the sides of my Palhik Mana cuff.

11 Likes

So beautiful!! Perfection. I love how the corn has the actual ears on it.

I see the bunny ears, but he kind of looks like he has a turkey tail? Or is that the deer? But what a gorgeous cuff. And I love the antelope; I’m thinking it’s a pronghorn? His tail kind of looks like the other one.

3 Likes

Yes, the bunny is the fella with the very unexpected tail. The identification, though, came from the lovely people at Kopavi, who knew him so well and spent a lot of time talking with him about all his works they sold. Maybe it’s related to some petroglyph, I just don’t know.

Agree about the pronghorn; I should take a pic to show the critter better.

PS what a good idea for a thread!

5 Likes

I just love the phrase “very unexpected tail”

3 Likes

More mesas on a storyteller cuff with an “HY” hallmark

10 Likes

I have a few that fit in this category, especially if we are including pueblos and hogans as desert southwest landscapes. Two artists that I collect in particular do a lot of southwest landscapes.

The first is Joseph D. Coriz, from Kewa (Santo Domingo) Pueblo. He works in a distinctive overlay style and features a lot of images of pueblos. Here’s my small collection:

The other artist I collect who features a lot of southwest landscape imagery is Clarence Lee, Navajo. He is now deceased, but his son Russell, who he worked with for many years, continues working in his style. I have several of Russell’s pieces as well as Clarence’s.

Buckle by Clarence:

Buckle by Russell:

Pendant by Russell:

13 Likes

Hogans:

Three rings featuring hogans by Clarence Lee, or Clarence and Russell:

Pin with a hogan by Mike Bird-Romero:

14 Likes

It’s all soooo beautiful, OrbitO, amazing collections. The ring and the turtle in your first pic are my favorites. I’ve spent a lot of time in the Mackinaw (city and island) MI area, and Mackinaw is derived from the word Michilimackinac which means “island of the great turtle” in Ojibwa, so maybe that’s partly why I’m drawn to him.

Thanks for posting these. I wasn’t even thinking of pueblos, etc, at first - but of course! Now I will have to add a couple with those…

5 Likes

@OrbitOrange What a wonderful collection! Haven’t heard of these NA artists before so it’s nice to see their work. I’m especially drawn to Joseph D Coriz’s jewelry - oooh, that ring! I really like all the rings in the photos. Jewelry depicting scenes from daily life is a unique & interesting style.

3 Likes

Thank you @Ziacat and @Patina!

The turtle is a ring, too. I do really like both of the rings. Joseph D. Coriz is probably the first artist I started specifically collecting after falling in love with his distinctive style. The rectangular ring is the one that started it for me, then I sought out more of his work.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading through my Trading Post Guidebook again since we’re headed out in April. Many of these places have closed, but there are still quite a few open, and the book is full of all kinds of fascinating info.

So just now I picked up where I had left off, and what do you know… An entry on Clarence and Russell Lee! It fits right in with @OrbitOrange’s posts showing her jewelry made by them. My book is pretty old ('95), so not updated, but very interesting.

4 Likes

Good timing! I actually bought that book based on your recommendation, but I haven’t had time to go through it yet and hadn’t seen that. I’ve read a lot of information about Clarence and Russel but this is the first I’m hearing about the sauna :laughing:

2 Likes

Alas…my only canyon/cactus piece worth mentioning. By Floyd/LLoyd Becenti.

9 Likes

But it has BOTH cactus and canyons/mesas therefore it’s a two in one :grin: so double good!

2 Likes

@Ziacat I need a $40,000 box by Clarence and Russell Lee…uhmm…and $40,000!!! :crazy_face:
Alas, I only have this one pin! I had previously mentioned wanting one of their pieces. I have @OrbitOrange to thank for bringing this one to my attention one day so I could bid on it. I wound up getting it! So, a big thanks to Double O for that heads up!!!

8 Likes

@AC love that pin so much! His classic, signature design.

3 Likes

not mine but it covers all the requirements of cactus & canyons

Allison Snowhawk Lee brooch titled “FAST FOOD”

9 Likes