Can this be saved, so I can wear it?

I just mean the necklace part. Not the turquoise pendent.

2 Likes

Without looking at that piece close up, I am reluctant to tell you what to do - you absolutely do not want to push or pry the stone - especially if there is a fracture. If you can tolerate the chip, take your pendant to a jeweler and have the stone reset. It’s a simply job to open the bezel, take the stone out, re-seat it and then close up the bezel - anyone who knows how to bezel set a stone can do it.

3 Likes

I can definitely tolerate the chip for sure. My only concern is the jewelers in my area are horrible. Expensive but still horrible. I’m going to see if Jason’s shop can fix it for me. Thanks so much for you help. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I absolutely knew what you were referring to :grinning: Thanks so much. I really do appreciate everyone’s help and suggestions :smiley:

I would not fix it on your own unless you totally know what you’re doing. And definitely send to it Native American jewelry experts. Before I knew better I asked someone here in my northern IN town about fixing something. Fortunately for me they said they wouldn’t touch Native turquoise jewelry. I’m sure Perry Null can help you. I also had some items fixed beautifully at Palms Trading in ABQ last summer.

4 Likes

Not to argue, but why would something like this need to go to a Native American jewelry expert for a simple fix? I have fixed numerous NA pieces - mostly tightening up bezels, replacing broken or missing stones, fixing buckles…and other than sawdust I haven’t seen anything different in NA jewelry making construction.

1 Like

I can see a couple of things. Most fine jewelers can’t chew gum and walk around handmade jewelry. I can’t even count the number of times someone has come to us with work a fine jeweler has completely botched because they don’t understand the nature of the materials processes or techniques.

The skill set necessary to successfully work with hand fabricated, and especially antique or vintage Indian jewelry is increasingly uncommon, and quite specialized.

You and I can take a pocket knife, pop these stones right out of a setting, take care of the lapidary work to restore their integrity and finish, sit down at the bench and make new settings without a second thought.

That’s a rare skill these days, and getting rarer with the passing of so many fine silversmiths who’s offspring are too busy, or not interested in learning the craft and discipline.

9 Likes

I assume you know what you’re doing. Many don’t. I had another ring screwed up by a jeweler that thought it was a simple fix.

3 Likes

@CyanideRose18
It’s a really beautiful piece! I’m glad you removed it from the necklace. It would be perfect on a heavy sterling chain.

3 Likes

One similar to this (or thicker even) would look cool!

Or a thin turquoise heishi necklace. I use one of those with my pendants also.

6 Likes

Thanks so much Stracci :grinning: I was just seeing what I have already here. I’m definitely looking for one on the shorter side.

1 Like

That’s a nice one :smiley: I think they call them paper clip necklaces. A bit thicker would be perfect. I’d definitely have to antique a new one if I don’t have anything I like.

2 Likes

I bought mine in Taos many years ago; it was handmade (Navajo I believe). I saw a couple artists at the Eiteljorg Art Market selling them. Ira Custer (Navajo) had one. It was thicker I think.

2 Likes

Oh wow, a much nicer necklace and well made. I never thought of a plain Navajo necklace. I always think of pendants coming with the necklace as a set. I’ll have to look around at those for sure.

2 Likes

PLEASE DON’T SOAK IT. This can be extremely harmful to the stones - especially if they are loose, porous, or cracked. If you don’t like the soiling, you can take a SOFT toothbrush lightly to it with some dawn dish soap. Be careful not to get the stones wet. Place it face down afterwards to make sure the water completely drains out. You can store it with chalk to keep it from getting darker. I will sometimes use a polishing cloth on the back side if the patina is so bad that it’s rubbing off. Otherwise, take it to someone who knows how to deal with turquoise (do NOT take it to a mall jeweler), to have them stabilize the stones and reset them. There is a special tool to tighten the bezel. Having said that, if the bezel just needs slightly tightened and the stones are strong, my Dad used to use the back of a spoon if he couldn’t find the bezel tool. If you try, make sure you put a cloth between the whatever you use to tighten and the bezel so you don’t mark up the silver.

8 Likes

Thank you so much. I removed the pendant from the necklace and I will clean it up more tomorrow when I have more time. I noticed it was a little bent, so I straightened it out and the stone is sitting in the bezel much better. I do have the proper tool that you spoke of somewhere. The actual pendant wasn’t going to be soaked at all. The suggestion was for the heshi and coral necklace, without the pendant. I put that away for now though :grinning: Thanks so much again. I really appreciate all the help I received.

3 Likes

I rub down all my newly acquired pieces with rubbing alcohol–not soaking them. It dries really quickly & takes off grime.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I use alcohol on a lot of things too. I cleaned the stones with a little bit of dawn and water and they came out fine. Im working on the metal now :grinning:

1 Like

Great discussion…I had never thought of using rubbing alcohol! @Lynda, you mentioned storing silver pieces with chalk to keep it from getting darker. Are you putting a piece of chalk in a bag with the piece?
@Ziacat I agree, I’d wear this fabulous pendant with a heavy Navajo link chain. I have a whole collection of differing sizes; some older and have great patina, others I keep fairly shined with a cloth…depends on the pendant I’m wearing. Years ago you could easily find them, now it seems more difficult. Guess people like me are hoarding them😄.

1 Like

I haven’t found any nice chains at all, so you may be right. I think I will use a platinum chain I have until I find something nicer. I did end up putting some thin star bond around the bezel of the the stone with the crack and used the burnishing tool. I also used a can of air and a polishing cloth to clean it up. I’m gonna use some zam on the back of the pendant to clean it up a bit because the tarnish would irritate my skin but I’m very happy with how it’s coming along :grinning:

1 Like