Christmas belt

I ordered a Britwest belt for Christmas and it arrived today. It doesn’t have turquoise and isn’t Native American, but it’s so freakin’ cool I had to post it. It’s made from old reclaimed leather (her belts use leather from saddles, bridles, driving reigns, etc,) that she works and works to soften, so it has amazing personality. This one has steel studs all over, quite rock and roll.

The studs that you use to snap on the buckle are a little too big to fit my mom and dad’s vintage buckles, but a number of my others work.

I added a Navajo turquoise buckle in the pic so my post still makes sense for the forum :laughing: Now I just have to have enough self control to put it away for Christmas…

18 Likes

That is really cool, her stuff always has a great look.

3 Likes

Great looking belt and the buckle you paired it with is perfect! :+1:

3 Likes

Love this! Vicki Turbeville used to sell interesting belts and cuffs, some of them studded, from old repurposed leather. I have a couple of those cuffs with old Navajo silver and turq buttons sewed on but not as cool as this with the studs.
You’ll rock it! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Thanks all! I was a wee bit bummed that my mom and dad’s silver buckles didn’t fit on it, although my dad’s scrimshaw one does, but it’ll make me wear my others more. The leather is quite heavy, but nicely soft. She does do some custom work, and I have some old stirrup leathers of my mom’s, so maybe someday I’ll see if she can make one of those into a belt.

2 Likes

Zia, are the belt attachment bars on the back of your mom and dad’s buckles large enough to accept the width and thickness of your new belt? If yes, the studs/snaps they used can probably be replaced with something smaller. I prefer Chicago screws because they’re relatively small, come in a variety of lengths, and can be screwed down tight to compress the leather and allow more clearance. Just a thought.

Here’s a good source: Chicago Post and Screw Sets | Made in the USA

3 Likes

Yes, they work with the thickness and width; it’s just that the studs are too long.

I was wondering if there were shorter ones, thank you for the link. I think I’ll check with a local guy who has worked on my saddle - he’s a wizard with this stuff. However, I’m thinking it’s possible because of the thickness of the belt and the way the studs work, they may need to be longer or they may not fit through both layers of the leather.

2 Likes

I can’t see the back side of the studs. Are they attached with screws or are they riveted on? Chicago screws come in different lengths, so the thickness of the belt won’t matter. The advantage is you get a flat head and compression. Good luck!

1 Like

Great belt AND buckle!!

1 Like

Thank you! I haven’t been wearing it as much, so maybe I’ll wear it more often now with the new belt. I found it in a fun antique store in Bisbee, AZ. It’s signed J Begay. I’ve looked him up and he’s a pretty interesting fellow; he did some acting. Then recently I found this!

4 Likes

Today I was looking up info on this artist, and found this.

I had found several of his buckles for sale, but this one he made into a pendant. It’s funny, cause at one point I figured out I could wear my buckles on a leather cord as pendants. I haven’t done it yet, but maybe now I will!

2 Likes

@Ziacat, the design of your Navajo turquoise buckle perfectly complements the design on the belt itself! Fabulous combo, I love it :heart:

1 Like

Happy Christmas! What a fabulous belt, and in my opinion it’s perfect with your buckle. I don’t know what it is about studs, I’m really attracted to them. We have a couple studded leather tables and just ordered a studded leather sofa and love seat as a Christmas gift to ourselves😄. Studs just give everything that intangible something that pulls me in. Guess I need a studded leather belt…

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually bought and posted it last Christmas, but I recently added the last post with the similar pendant to my buckle.

I know, I really like the look of studs too. I had been eyeing that belt for quite some time, and then it disappeared off her site, but all of a sudden it showed up last year. It’s not there now, so good thing I kept checking! She occasionally has a 2-3 inch leather studded cuff to match the belt; maybe someday I’ll have to get it also. I have quite a few of her leather cuffs, and wear them constantly.

I think I remember your studded leather table, it’s really cool. And I just remembered we have some brass studs on the sides of our leather couch! You might have to post a picture here of yours when you get it…

1 Like