Cross Talk

Crosses anyone? :innocent:

8 Likes

Great topic, and those are absolutely beautiful! I have one I’ll post after a while. I’m on the lookout for another because crosses have much meaning for me, but I haven’t found one that hit me just right (and then I often end up falling in love with something else and spending my money elsewhere).

Do you know the artists?

3 Likes

I may have two or three crosses. I’ll have to hunt for them. Will try & post tomorrow.

2 Likes

no turquoise

Apache tears

7 Likes

Now that’s cool. It gives off a medieval vibe. Do all the stones glow like that?

2 Likes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian

Translucent volcanic glass

2 Likes

@Steve I really like the rustic look on this cross. The stones kind of remind me of bog oak.

2 Likes

Bottom one is really pretty. Is the middle one by Iule? Here is my C. Iule cross.

9 Likes

I noticed this photo when I purchased the 5th edition.

4 Likes

The coral cross & petit point turquoise cross were purchased almost 20 years ago at one of the gift shops in Yellowstone NP. The only crosses hallmarked, in any way, are shown in the 2nd photo. I didn’t remember I had this many, lol. So much jewelry tucked away…

6 Likes

Cross #1: Mary Cayatineto, Navajo

Cross #2: Wilbur Iule, Zuni

Cross #3: Unknown

Possibilities:
Davey Morgan
Navajo

Calvin Desson
Navajo

5 Likes

Pretty cool, @Steve.

20 characters…

2 Likes

Thanks Tah! I’m always curious. Looks great on the jacket!

2 Likes

My crosses…

I’ve always loved this one, maybe that’s why I’ve never bought another since this one just seemed so right for me. It’s by Philip Guerro.

I haven’t really worn this, because it’s a tack type pin, and my sister-in-law just gave it to me for Christmas. She said she saw it for $3 (originally priced $30), and couldn’t resist getting it for me. It looks a lot like my pendant!

This one is not Native American, but I added it since I like it so well. I bought it in an antique store in Charleston, SC decades ago. I’m not really good with other stones, so I’m not sure what these are, but I would guess onyx?

7 Likes

@Ziacat Those are all pretty crosses. The 3rd one looks like black onyx and marcasite to me.

2 Likes

I Have Some Crosses!

The first one with the filigreed back is unmarked except for “.925”.

The second is Bell Trading Post, marked “Bell :bell: Sterling” in a circle.

The third one is hallmarked Mexico on the bale.

The fourth and fifth are George Leekity and his wife Lupeta Iule, they are Horace Iule’s daughter and son-in-law! They are hallmarked “G&L Leekity”.

The big red one on the squash necklace is Cecilia Iule, another of Horace’s daughters!

And lastly, the two in the bottom corners are by Horace Iule himself!

Sorry about the not so great pics. My light box is currently in storage.

9 Likes

@Ziacat, Do you think your 2nd cross is dyed porcupine quills?

3 Likes

That would be cool, but I believe it’s some sort of dyed sweet grass (feels straw like).

I love all your crosses, especially the fourth one, and the necklace. Gorgeous!

1 Like

Lakota Sioux of course make art with porcupine quills, and when dyed, flattened, and wrapped, quillwork looks and feels just like straw. Just food for thought.

4 Likes

That would be cool! I’m not as familiar with Lakota Sioux work so I wasn’t sure they used quills, and it looks quite different than the quills on my boxes. Do they flatten them? I’m more familiar with the Native American art around the Great Lakes region. Thanks!!

2 Likes