Cross Talk

They do flatten them when a project calls for a flat surface. I shared before about the master Lakota Sioux artist Alice New Holy Blue Legs. I had a gorgeous medallion pendant by her, which was a wrapped, flattened circle design.
https://forum.turquoisepeople.com/t/and-now-for-something-completely-different/10976/14

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the coolest name ever!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that again; I do now remember reading it, but had forgotten, very interesting. I bet they are porcupine quills! Iā€™m not sure why, but that makes me happy. The director of the childrenā€™s home near Winslow, AZ that I volunteered at a few years ago is Lakota Sioux (her husband is Navajo), so I should learn more from her next time Iā€™m there.

2 Likes

Assuming that they are quills, keep in mind about my little wall hanging from ā€œIndian Villageā€ in St. Ignace, MIā€¦Something ate the quills! Maybe keep it protected!

3 Likes

Who knew they were tasty :grin:

I remember that conversation; I couldnā€™t believe that itā€™s from the same place that I visited almost every year as a child. Also, now that I think itā€™s porcupine quills Iā€™m going to be extra gentle with it, because some of the quills on one of my baskets are breaking loose.

2 Likes

Iā€™m at my daughterā€™s in Iowa City and I just visited Artifacts again. Not too much new there in Turquoise cuffs but I did pick up this cute little Hopi pin by Stewart Tewawina for 40 bucks. Now it has what looks like a cross but if used as a pendant, the cross is upside down. Iā€™m not a Satanist so I wonā€™t wear it that way. my question is, what kind of symbolism is that in NA or did some devil worshipper add the loop for the pendant so it would be upside down. :laughing: Last pic is how it looks as a pendant.

5 Likes

Also picked up this Hopi belt buckle by Danielle Wadsworth. Anyone know anything about this artist?

5 Likes

found these examples, both by same artist VICTOR COOCHWYTEWA

some kind of path leading to or from a ā€œcrossroadā€ maybe

7 Likes

Re the Victor pieces: Itā€™s his famous (and basically proprietary) Starblower design, nothing to do with earthly roads or paths nor other cross associations. Only his son Ricky has felt able to use this image. Iā€™ve read it relates to a Hopi petroglyph, but the Starblower is/was part of mystical cosmology for Victor. In other Victor jewelry those lines terminate in diamonds as stars.

8 Likes

I want to try to arrange my crosses in a creative display like @AC :blush: But until I get around to finding them, Iā€™ll share my favorite pueblo cross necklace byDavid Taliman. Itā€™s a simple, more delicate piece, but hangs beautifully!

8 Likes

And, a more contemporary cross pendent by Tommy Jackson:

10 Likes

@Bmpdvm Iā€™m swooning over both of these necklaces/crosses. Theyā€™re beautiful.

3 Likes

Iā€™m over here appreciating quietly, too :heart:

3 Likes

I love your David Taliman necklace! Heā€™s very collectible! Iā€™ve only ever found a single spoon of his, what I would call a long handled iced tea spoon, although Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not the correct term for it. :spoon:

2 Likes

Thanksgiving @AC, Iā€™d love to run into a few more of his pieces! FYI, the New Mexicoā€™s History Museumā€™s Palace of the Governors has a fabulous display of Talimanā€™s jewelry. I was there last year, and I believe the display continues through part of 2025. I was drooling excessively; itā€™s a fabulous large collection of his amazing work. Iā€™ve attached a link for anyone interested:

3 Likes

So beautiful; I also love the chain.

2 Likes

I think was so focused on cross pendants that I forgot my Ira Custer cross earrings.

7 Likes

@Ziacatā€¦you always notice the handmade chainsšŸ˜Š. I have quite a few: theyā€™re a must for NA pendants. Iā€™m sure you agree!

3 Likes

I do! Yours is lovely.

I only have one since I donā€™t wear chains much; itā€™s on my Hopi bird pendant that I posted in the bird thread. I donā€™t remember much about it, except it was one of the earliest things I bought back around '90 in Taos. (I bought the pendant someplace else). I didnā€™t even know it was handmade, but one year I wore the pendant and chain to the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market, and one of the Hopi artists told me it was (he also liked the pendant :grin:).

Do you know where the stones are from in your crosses?

1 Like

The David Taliman cross is old (I believe he died in the ā€˜60s) so I donā€™t know for sure, but I love the electric blue spiderweb! The Tommy Jackson cross is Bisbee. Small amounts of turquoise, but just right for the crosses.
By the way your Ira Custer earrings are fabulousā€¦simple but appealing!
It is so fun sharing these things we love! And Iā€™m always learning something new, like @chicfarmer explaining Victor Coochwytevaā€™s starblower design. Love this group!

4 Likes