Cross Talk

What a wonderful way to decorate a tree! And I love all your crosses. I’m partial to the earrings and the chip inlay one.

3 Likes

Here’s some Ira Custer crosses I saw online. Maybe I’ll get another someday!

7 Likes

Ooh, Aaah…those cross pendents are fabulous!! Another example of the simpler the better. At first I thought they were yours! I’ll have to keep my eyes open for his crosses😉

2 Likes

Oh, I wish they were mine :laughing:

Yes, his work to me is a perfect example of beautiful simplicity. I am blessed to have 3 pieces made by him. I have some beautiful stones from my mother’s old earrings that she bought in the mid-40’s (the turquoise is loose, and the earrings are broken), and I was hoping to have him make them into a ring or pendant, but unfortunately I never got around to asking him. You have heard he passed away?

2 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry, it seems so many wonderful artist are not longer with us! As I recall the last time I saw him was at the Heard show 3-4 years ago? Glad I was able to buy a really nice sugilite pendant directly from him!

2 Likes

He just passed in late Jan. Here’s the link to a thread about it. Ira Custer passing

2 Likes

You all aren’t finished yet are you? I found a couple more to share:
This cast cross is by Eugene Mitchell. I had it strung on vintage seafoam green seed beads:

This MOP silver encased shell pendant with a black cross inlay has always been a favorite. It is circa 1970. I wear it with a handmade Navajo chain:

And last is this 30 cross tab necklace made by Mildred Parkhurst. It’s a fairly contemporary piece made in the style of a pueblo style necklace supposedly made for the wife of Kit Carson (Indian Silver Jewelry of the Southwest 1868 - 1930 by Larry Frank, p 75):

9 Likes

Awesomeness, @Bmpdvm! They are all beautiful (that cross squash!!), but the little MOP one is so sweet. I’m kind of surprised I don’t have more. Maybe eventually!

3 Likes

Your collection is a joy to behold. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you to you, @Ziacat , and @chicfarmer for the posts regarding Ira’s passing. Don’t know how I missed it; I’ve been out of the loop off and on and have cancelled Facebook. Time is moving fast and sad changes along with it. He and so many others certainly leave behind their legacy through their wonderful work.

2 Likes

How could I forget these. I bought them somewhere on the plaza in Santa Fe around '90, and wore them a lot. But eventually they were a bit too heavy, and a couple years ago I had them switched to posts (they were wires). Not signed, but if I remember right, they are Navajo.

6 Likes

And the cross du jour…

Alas this isn’t mine, but I was with a friend when she purchased this from Mary Coriz Lovato several years ago. I want it😄.

11 Likes

Truly amazing. If I had it though, I would only look at it. I barely wear my depression era Santo Domingo necklace, because the tabs flipping over drive me insane.

I do have a single strand turquoise and spiny oyster heishi necklace that my mother bought from Mary Lovato at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market a loooong time ago, and I treasure it.

3 Likes

Yeah, it would look great in a shadow box on a wall. I’ve often thought about framing my larger squash blossoms and hanging them on the wall with my concho belts😊

2 Likes

That’s a great idea! Now the problem is I would have to actually have wall space left… I was raised to believe you should cover every inch of your walls with stuff :rofl:

Would you believe I don’t even own a concha belt or a squash blossom :hushed:

2 Likes

Oh my…you need at least one of each😉

2 Likes

Perhaps. However 2 things keep me from buying either - budget and wearability. If I were to buy what I liked of either of those, I would have to cut back on spending on other items. And I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t wear either much. I might wear one of the smaller squash blossoms occasionally, but I know I would not wear a concho belt. It drives me nuts if I can’t put a belt through belt loops (and I don’t wear belts terribly often, especially in the winter). I know there are smaller ones, but I’m not particularly fond of those. With my job and life, cuffs, rings, and smaller necklaces make more sense. But I will continue to oooh and ahh over everybody else’s!

2 Likes

For a smaller concho belt, I like this one on Double D’s website.

5 Likes

perhaps a ConchoBeltBracelet :grin:

7 Likes

Ha! Or this one by Britwest.

Or even better, this one!

But I better save my $ for now.

3 Likes