Ira Custer passing

I am not on Facebook, but my hubby had joined when my brother was ill so we could follow his posts. Because of this I have been able to check in on one of the Native American jewelry pages. And…

I just saw this :weary::disappointed_relieved:

I’m so blessed that I was able to meet him a couple summers ago at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market; he really liked to chat with his customers. I will always treasure that. We also emailed back and forth a couple times, and I had been thinking I might ask him if he could design a ring with my mom’s old turquoise stones from her earrings, but too late. He will be missed.

10 Likes

Me too, as we’ve discussed. A loss of a charming person, great storyteller, and fine artist. :slightly_frowning_face:Thanks for posting this remembrance.

4 Likes

This is very sad news. @Ziacat I’m sure you will treasure your pieces so much more now.

3 Likes

Ah, that is such sad news. @Ziacat, I’m glad you have that memory of meeting Mr Custer, chatting with him and even corresponding a little. He certainly had a kind face and a sweet smile. You can tell from the Facebook write-up that he was dearly loved. May he rest in peace.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve always appreciated his work, and also enjoyed talking with him on several occasions at Indian Market.

3 Likes

Lovely and emotional remembrance by Bonnie McClung of Turquoise and Tufa, with info on ways to help the family.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2gBeyXPrtz/?img_index=1

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing that! It choked me up. I wish I had had the opportunity to buy more from him when he was alive, but I’m so glad I bought the things I did. First thing I purchased were some cross earrings which I call my Shield of Faith earrings, because they look like a shield. They’re really, really heavy on my ears, but I’m going to have to wear them more often in memory of his art and who he was.

5 Likes