Definitely unique

That’s for sure. I’m just one of those people who like things that are unique and or not the usual. So when I saw this meteorite ring made by Alvin Yellowhorse I just had to have it. It’s a meteorite fragment he found at the Barringer Crater that huge one in Arizona. I guess I like to think about how it was part of something just traveling around in space before ending up here. Plus, somebody had to buy it. I think everyone should have a few unique items and not just jewelry or something likely to be seen everywhere, a lot of times this comes down to handmade items bought here or abroad. Etsy is good for that. Anyway, here are the pics - not for the faint of heart, you’ve been warned.

8 Likes

That’s pretty cool. The setting and design of the ring is perfect.

2 Likes

That is a really neat ring. I like the wide band. how cool to be wearing a meteorite on your hand! I have a couple of items from Artie Yellowhorse. Is that father/son? My unique item is something I cannot find on google search. A storyteller turquoise pendant. I almost wish the storyteller was on the side because the stone is pretty. J for Jason Livingston?

3 Likes

@nanc9354 It may be a composite piece that incorporates the cast sterling storyteller image by Carol Felley (non-Native). Quite a lot of it is out there, on pendants, rings, and bracelets.

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1061514-0015-5495/Storyteller-Sterling-Pendant-Carol-Felley-20x22?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiApuCrBhAuEiwA8VJ6JsLkBCCwdnySJTG-Hz3NpObHTo6jf7i8zhJgSs5iWtDLsmv0QKYbUhoCyEMQAvD_BwE

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/carol-felley-storyteller-turquoise-necklace-silver-315-c-a79409f8b4

@SilverWolf that’s one interesting ring!

2 Likes

You could be correct. I never thought of that even though I was familiar with her storyteller items. Thnx.

It’s made by his son Alvin, when I first saw it I thought what in the world is this!? Another item buried deep in the end pages at Garland’s. I’ve always thought it would be cool to go hunting for meteorites with my metal detector ever since I saw guys on shows doing it. No matter what it is - gold, silver, opal, meteorites etc. they never get it all. Just like all of the pyramid type structures in South America, the more they dig the more they find as well as find out that it all goes even deeper still than they thought. That’s one good outcome of the ones who came before us just building their new on top of their old. So much gaps in history yet to be found along with all those goodies which they viewed in a different way. I always thought it was so unfortunate that the Spaniards just destroyed so much art along with the recorded history. Where else could we find an entire garden made entirely of gold and silver? who could even have imagined making that and then doing it? It must have been mind blowing to see. I would look at my gardens and think it must have been quite impressive especially all the detail they put into it right down to the butterflies or as I like to call them flutterbys…since that’s what they do, pretty sure they don’t taste like butter and flies pale in comparison. Yeah, I know they probably meant flies as in flight but I still like my crazy take on that one lol. Another one is lol, always think little old ladies…

5 Likes

@SilverWolf, I’ve been to Meteor Crater, so cool. And my husband is fascinated with the TV shows on the ancient structures that are still continually being found in South America. We went to Chichen Itza while on our honeymoon years and years ago. It was amazing.

By the way, we actually had a little discussion on here about butterflies a while ago, and I had said I don’t know why they’re not called flutterbys :laughing:

4 Likes

I remember her little storyteller figurines. Somebody on an Etsy site was claiming a ring with one of those was made by a well-known deceased Hopi artist…grrrr

1 Like

Finally! I thought I was the only person on the entire planet who called them that. I guess we’re sane after all, it’s all the rest of 'em we have to keep our eyes on until they open theirs…this could be a really extended long night that will last for days without end…yep that makes perfect sense…I think…therefore I yam what I yam. Good recipe for yams or whichever the ones with the purple skins and orange innards are -
Parboil enough for your crowd, when fork goes into them easily turn off heat and drain water, let sit until cool.
Remove the skins and cut into no more than 1/4" thick slices.
Put your oven on lowest setting with a baking dish in it and start heating some oil in a frying pan.
Use real lemons and get the juice out of them minus the seeds, pulp’s ok, set aside.
Fry the yams making sure you char the edges just a little. When done remove from pan and put in baking dish. Drizzle some Real Maple syrup over them and do the same with some of the lemon juice. Keep repeating this until all the yams are present and accounted for.
Ready to serve as soon as you’re ready to eat…they will go fast, people will come back for more, this dish Is Addictive you’ve been warned. It also makes for a good dessert, and can deal with being a leftover if you speak to it gently, but unless you’ve made a lot/enough there won’t be any left…over and out! :wolf: :paw_prints: :wolf: :paw_prints:

3 Likes

Yum!!! I’ll try your recipe, but unfortunately my husband and most of the family don’t like yams…crazy but true!

1 Like

It does sound yummy. I don’t really like yams as much, but I’m betting it would still work with sweet potatoes which I do like. Maybe they’re the same, and it’s just some of the yam recipes I don’t like :laughing:

1 Like

Like I’ve said elsewhere…Etsy is a treasure trove for all sorts of good stuff like these Mushroom Lamps…it’s hard to get a pic of them that doesn’t end up with the amber light showing up with a lot of glare/whitish centers. So I’m including one taken with a flash…no not a flasher, a flash.

Also, and I know lots of people do this…find out of the way thrift shops because from what I’ve read here and on facebook they tend to have a bit of Native American jewelry on hand and if not keep going back every now and then. Hope it’s ok to post the mushroom lamp pics, I can’t help it they’re just so cool and make good night lights, are usb powered, she includes a usb plug converter and I’ve had mine on day and night for quite a number of years now and it’s still going strong. I can give any of you the name of her Etsy store but not sure if it’s allowed. Comes from Croatia so expect a hefty shipping fee which you should just minus out of your mind…life’s much simpler that way…it’s homemade by her, she collects the wood from her local surroundings…you won’t get it by Christmas but if it’s between adults or even kids, makes a good lesson on good things come to those who wait…can order the type of wood meaning stump which is what the one in pics is or branch that comes either as a table type lying down item or a longer branch to hang on the wall. I don’t know why but they’re just relaxing…mushrooms come in several colors, you choose and unless sold out she should have some ready to ship…since it’s from Croatia you’ll get local postal tracking number and it goes off the radar once it’s on the ship but as soon as it’s in the states our USPS will have a tracking number to give you so you can follow it.
I almost forgot…haven’t put up my usual Christmas town since I live alone so I finally went with something different that will double for New Years…2 for one!..or twelve actually…those streaks won’t show up there the result of these tiny seed size leds on stainless steel wires and yes these are powered by LR44 button batts which are cheap enough these days…I’m seeing how long they last - on at dusk off around midnight…got 'em on Amazon and no other lanterns come with any lights, so you can use your own but I recommend using the ones that come with them…just undo the strands slowly and feed 'em into lantern, random chaos style! I also left review that tells you how to put the support frame piece in lantern since no one else did not even on YouTube!..so I took the mystery out of it for you! Happy Holler Daze and may you all have a Happy and Prosperous New Year…lord knows I could use one!

2 Likes

I’ll try this recipe sometime soon, @SilverWolf! I’ve done a similar prep with yams, but with butter and minced ginger rather than oil and lemon juice. (Of course real maple syrup, though!) I’ll bet the lemon would really complement the sweetness of the yam and syrup. Yum…

Yours sounds good too I love ginger but never would had thought of it for that dish so I’ll have to give it a try. It was when my late wife and I met that we started going to her Mexican grandmothers house for Thanksgiving and I was expecting that usual nonsense of yams with marshmallows on top. Was so glad it wasn’t that and amazed at how delicious her recipe was. For all our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners after that we always made those yams. We were making her grandmothers enchiladas as it was with either turkey or roast leg of lamb and what I call real spanish rice not that orange colored stuff. Basic recipe for that was rice in whatever usual amount you eat always a full 2 qt.pot when all was said and done. So, you take some garlic and onions and fry that a bit first then add green and red bell peppers and the uncooked rice last, let it all be just a quick fry until the peppers tell you it’s time to add water or chicken broth, stir it all well and cook as you would standard rice, almost forgot a bit of cumin too. They were from Veracruz and I’ve never had any Mexican food that tasted as good or that was that different in terms of regionally. My wifes Aunt told us once that “mama” had used chuck roast with the bone in all her life for the enchiladas but she was getting older still tough mind you, but they were in the store getting all the fixings and she stood at the meat section holding the chuck roast in one hand and looking at the same but ground chuck in the other and finally said “so what’s the difference”? tossed the chuck roast back down and never made it any other way after that. Lucky for us that she taught my wife how to make all of it. She didn’t speak a word of english either, she had my wifes Aunt her daughter of course and shopped at the Mexican markets and just felt no need, same way about becoming a citizen, she just never did lol. The only pic I ever saw of her as a in her thirties woman - no husband anymore - was the camera below her looking up at a woman who was obviously very proud of who she was plus a look that said don’t even think of messing with me. They never made refried beans either, it was more like - people have told us - red beans and rice how they eat that in New Orleans, no rice just slowly simmered beans and of course some bacon too with as always a bit of fried onions and garlic. Sometimes her father would refry them the next day and make gorditas which were great as well as his green chile salsa - hot stuff. Don’t get me started on the Chile Rellenos, me and my sister were on the “assembly line” whether it was stuffing the whole chiles with cheese or taking those hot hot lightly fried tortillas and filling them with the meat mixture and laying them in the baking dishes, it was all we could do to keep up with those tortillas, slightly burning our fingers if we didn’t move quick enough and or course before we got them they were kind of dipped pulled through the homemade enchilada sauce too so they we hot! But man it was the best Mexican food I’ve ever eaten in my entire life! Lucky for me I have all those recipes plus obviously helping my wife cook all of it too along with my Sister who I also still have. I keep wanting to ask her if she wants to make the enchiladas with me since it makes a lot even if we ate it the second day. The enchilada sauce was made using La Victorias powdered enchilada mix, it came in a can and they got all the ingredients right according to her grandmother, all that was done was fry a bit of garlic and onions - standard news for you all at this point and for a lot of dishes it just is a good beginning - and add a couple cans of tomato sauce, the powder got mixed in 1st and just simmer and stir. Tastes nothing like canned enchilada sauce. When we needed extra money one time my wife made burritos using pork chile verde since we noticed all the Mexican workers at the local sawmill would buy the packaged ones at the store so we parked just down from there and boy did word of that spread quickly. Wasn’t long before they were all buying my wifes ones and we’d sell out fast, a lot of them said to the few who spoke english to tell her thank you so much, they hadn’t tasted food like that since they left home to come to US to work. You could tell for some it was emotional and one bold boy tried to suggest she leave me and marry him - Ha, no chance senor, move along. Damn I’m hungry now, for all of it, you get to thinking and realize there are more dishes surfacing in my mind as I write this, it’s been 17 yrs. since she passed and for the first time for some reason that hit me this year. It was like where did 17 yrs. of my life go, that’s a long time and I miss her everyday too.

2 Likes

Yeah, at first I wasn’t sure but the more I looked at it and finally had to move it to my middle finger even though my 3rd finger was the correct size, it’s a pretty hefty ring. For a bit I wondered why he didn’t use gold around the edge for contrast, but the meteorite color is like a dark silver or like iron ore so the ring being all silver was the best choice, plus for those cuttlefish bone wavy lines that give it that overlay look it’s grown on me. As usual I let it sit for a couple days doing my usual should I or not and finally told myself just like it appealed to me and that there’s a lot of people who are into meteorites plus where Alvin found it, I figured better snatch it up before someone else does, it is the gift giving season too. You’ve got to admit he’s got one hell of a nice hallmark too!

1 Like

Yes but on the whole it’s a really good looking pendant and unusual at least as far as the pendants I’ve seen. It’s beauty is simple too, just enough marks on the silver, that storyteller nestled into that turquoise as if it were a big pillow looks very comfy too.

Laughing, they basically are is what my wife always said, if you can’t find one just buy the other. For my taste yams are more firm…in the beginning that is, by the time you reheat them the next day they have the same consistency as sweet potatoes I’m not even sure I’m talking about the right ones, all I know is get the big purple ones. Of course now they have potatoes in all sorts of colors that are purple inside further complicating my writing a recipe about them. No matter what, the syrup and lemon juice will work their magic for this kind of sweet and sour slightly charred but definitely Not melted marshmallow potatoes.

Oh well, just lost a whole paragraph. Start over, basically long story short here’s a recipe from a collection of recipes from SF restaurants for potato pancakes from Schroeder’s German Restaurant, if you like hash browns these are a whole cut above and worth it.
3 lbs potatoes just regular or get inventive, up to all of you.
4 eggs lightly beaten
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon salt - not sure I used that much it is a lot of potatoes though
Freshly ground pepper to taste, pepper is sooo much better if freshly ground using a pepper grinder
1/2 teaspoon onion haha ha I know I used at least 1/2 an onion
1 large tart apple, peeled and grated same size grater as potatoes
It calls for lard for frying but you can use oil as well
Peel potatoes, wash, and let stand in bowl of water to crisp. Also keeps them turning gray for the moment which they will once you mix all this up but they don’t come out gray after cooking.
Just before cooking drain and grate coarsely, use hand held or food processor, then drain again squeeze out that water.
Place in a large bowl and mix in the eggs, flour, salt, pepper, onion and apple.
Heat lard until very hot, in a 8" cast iron skillet you want these to cook fast not soak up a bunch of lard or oil.
Spoon out (this is where I changed it) a basic amount = to your average pancake or square hash brown patty into skillet, brown on one side turn over brown the other side, drain on paper or other towels keep in warm oven until the rest are done, serve. Pancakes should be crisp so do not cover while in oven.
If you like hash browns you’ll love these, also addictive. Everything blends into everything else, the apple was a great idea of Schroeder’s to use, blends right in with the potatoes, you almost wouldn’t know it was in the recipe. Great for breakfast or Dinner, we used to have breakfast for dinner sometimes, it’s easy to make, nice during summer. Anyone can learn how to cook, I always suspected either cooks hate to tell you/give away their recipes-like that 1/2 teaspoon of onion or was a misprint, just if you have mates critique each others cooking like my wife and I did. She frowned once when she asked how the wontons for the sweet and sour pork were because we weren’t wolfing them down. I asked her what did you do different this time that you didn’t do last time? She said there was no oyster sauce last time, I said forget ever adding oyster sauce to the wonton meat mix again, increase the hoisin sauce if moisture is needed add some more green onions. I asked her when she frowned would you rather I tell you now or get the same reaction if you serve it to company and ask how was everything? I had her taste everything I made and told her you tell me especially if I had to increase the recipe, you can’t just double everything, it won’t work that way. Needless to say she went on to cook those wontons for a local restaurant and when served as an appetizer to a woman who like us grew up eating wontons back when they actually put a meat mixture in them, she jumped up and said “omg, these are the best wontons I’ve ever eaten in my whole life! Who made them?” Owner/cook didn’t like that, so silly of her. Even the wontons from our childhood in 50’s-'60’s SF had meat in them but was little more than just ground pork, the recipe we got from The Whole World Cookbook for Sweet and Sour Pork which wasn’t made by dumping pork pieces in batter and deep frying it but instead you marinate the pork in hoisin sauce and bake it in the oven. The sweet and sour sauce is made from pineapple, the juice that comes with it, more hoisin sauce, bell peppers, onions, you cook sauce that way till heated and once pork is done add to the sauce. It struck me as something asians cooked at home for their families and not USA fry everything till we die of clogged arteries. Always made enough for two nights so we didn’t have to cook second night just reheat, wontons too. Taking care of Joey had us searching for all the two night meals we could find since he could wear us down easily. If anyone wants that recipe just ask, it’s late and I’ve written too much already. Enjoy life as much as you can, it’s the only revenge for all the insanity they expect us to put up with. :wolf: :paw_prints: :wolf: :paw_prints: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Made me very hungry…I will remember those tips!

Your wife sounds like she was a wonderful lady.