Encyclopedia--Non-Turquoise Stones

Did you know?
Making cabochons and jewelry from the old smelting fire bricks is popular in Michigan.
As the old copper kilns are being torn down, or falling down, the fire bricks are being collected and repurposed.
The material makes beautiful jewelry.

Here’s a Montana Moss Agate slice I polished.

Another Montana Moss I made into a kilt pin for my son in law.

5 Likes

I think maybe I saw some of that jewelry when we were in the UP last spring. I bought a ring with float copper on it. Funny, that piece looks a little like Damele in your photo.

The moss agate is beautiful.

3 Likes

That’s a favorite of mine too right after Opal!

3 Likes

I’ve got my unusual Bat Cave Jasper cuff

One of my favorite stones…crazy or wild horse…by Cathy Webster!…

Picture of landscape Jasper…
Azurite by G Ramone……
And many different stones by Nakai and David Rosales….

5 Likes

I like Bat Cave Jasper. So unique.

2 Likes

Some really nice stones especially the Bat Cave Jasper!

1 Like

This was my first purchase of a non-traditional stone in this cuff by Irv Monte-Amethyst.

7 Likes

This cuff I bought several years ago and was told it was older; probably 30’s or slightly later

. I only recently think I finally discovered what the stone is. I was reading about agates and came across plume agates that looked very similar. I believe that’s what it is.

3 Likes

That is lovely. I really like amethyst stone. Who is the Navajo jeweler who makes great amethyst pendants…very collectible…has a Q in his name. His name has slipped my mind.

Your other cuff has a really interesting stone. Looks like topography with rivers running through the stone. nice Silver work too.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the maker of the amethyst pendants. The only “Q” name coming to mind is Quintana. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Graveyard Point Plume agate. Eastern Oregon. From a claim a friend has.

6 Likes

Wow, @fernwood , that is just gorgeous!

2 Likes

Thanks. I have 6 large, 4" to 6" pieces of this waiting for me to cut into slabs. Some have a lot of potential.

2 Likes

This is a wampum and sterling bracelet by GB Grant, Cherokee, Eastern Band

Wampum, the Northern Quahog, a clam from the coast of New England.

7 Likes

What a beautiful cuff (and I see your book :grin:)!

4 Likes

Thank you @Ziacat. My husband bought it for me during a visit to Cherokee NC several years ago. It was purchased from Traditional Hands Studios.

4 Likes

@here4turquoise If I may, what’s the title of the book? I doesn’t look familiar to me.

2 Likes

It’s a book I’ve mentioned a lot on the forum. Here it is…

I have carried it with me all over the Four Corners area.

4 Likes

We visited a nice little Native American craft shop in Cherokee when we were visiting the Smoky Mountains. I bought a cuff there from a Cherokee artist. I wonder if it could have been the same store.

Edit: Nope, googled it, different store.

4 Likes

Here is the link to Traditional Hands.

I don’t wear it as much I do the Navajo pieces.

4 Likes