Vintage Agate cuff

Continuing the discussion from Encyclopedia–Non-Turquoise Stones:

This is another agate but I don’t know which specific type. It wasn’t until I was looking at the pictures that I saw the streaks of silver in the stone. Is it really silver or narrow streaks of pyrite? I don’t think I have seen pyrite in that kind of long thin streak before. This one also has some age as you can see by the price on the back.

9 Likes

@Islandmomma That’s a beauuuutiful agate cuff! One of my favorite agates is Graveyard Point Plume agate. I’ve seen some Graveyard Point Plume cabs that look like yours. I believe it’s found in Oregon. Of course, there are ooodles of agates out there, so there’s that. $10.00!! That’s making me light-headed, lol.

2 Likes

Pretty cuff @Islandmomma . Agates are not known to contain silver. Maybe you could find someone local with an XRF to test it.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know that. I’m guessing that it must be pyrite then. I can’t believe that I didn’t see it until I took a picture.

1 Like

Just a little update on the agate. Last night I picked up a box of small stones that I got from the local gem society. It has several agates and two were cabbed leaving an open area on the top of each to show the pyrite running through the stone. I had never noticed it before because it looks similar to the one druzy in the bunch. They are also still in a closed box so I don’t see them. Time to make room in the rock cabinet.

@Islandmomma First photo is my ring with Graveyard Point Plume agate. It looks similar to the stone in your cuff, imo. I purchased the ring from the silversmith - her father is a lapidary who cabbed it. The 2nd photo is 2 rings & cabs - all Graveyard Point agate. These were all purchased at a local Gem & Mineral show from a wonderful couple that I became friends with over the years. (Sadly, he passed a few years ago.) They did their own rock hounding for decades and they personally collected & cabbed all the stones for sale. Mr. Bud enjoyed making jewelry & these 2 rings are his creations.

6 Likes

Those are really nice! Thanks for showing me. :blush:

1 Like