Favorite pendants

@chamekke To your question about brooches maybe being unpopular ~ I think that, over the generations, some forms of jewelry go in or out of fashion. Seems to me that straight up pins/brooches are currently out-of-fashion. Maybe it’s because contemporary clothing materials tend to be more lightweight and can’t properly support a (heavy) pin. Maybe there’s a general mindset that brooches are old-fashioned, i.e., cameos. Who knows? I, too, believe that pendants are a more popular form of jewelry. Personally, I like and wear my pins regularly on jean shirts/jackets.

3 Likes

So sorry about the lost pin! I’ve noticed on some of my pendants the pin closure comes open and the pin pokes me :wink: if it had been pinned to something it would have fallen off indeed.

1 Like

@TAH yep, it’s right up your alley. We purchased it ~20 + yrs ago at the Nat’l Final Rodeo in Las Vegas. It’s one of kind, covered with tooled leather and beautiful hand made conchos; we love it. Just FYI, here’s a little bit better picture:

10 Likes

What a perfect table for your pottery collection. Beautiful! Well done! :+1:

Is that Hopi pottery at the top middle?

4 Likes

@Patina I think you are right on that brooches are considered old fashioned. In my opinion, Native American pins are the exception, they are little works of art! Anyway, here in the west it seems more common to see Native American jewelry.
@chamekke glad you enjoy wearing pins! FYI, I’ve attached a picture of a pin to pendant converter my jeweler made for a pin I have. I believe some smaller converters can be purchased from jewelry supply (?).

1 Like

@TAH, yes it is! That one is by White Swann (Dolly Navasie). Currently we have a bronze on the table…have to rotate things occasionally!

2 Likes

Stop teasing me. :angry: :grin:

3 Likes

Here are a few pendants we made years ago in “step cut”. A style originated at my bench in ‘86. These particular pendants were made in my workshop by Bruce Morgan, Herbert Begay, and Frank Coriz (if I remember correctly). Circa 1988 - 89. Commissioned by Mark Del Frate, Palms Trading in Albuquerque.

7 Likes

@mmrogers Those are beautiful pendants. The quality workmanship and attention to detail speaks volumes. Even the bails have terrific designs. I especially like the pendant in the lower right hand corner! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks Patina. I believe that one was Frank Coriz (Santo Domingo).

1 Like

That is just beautiful as is your pottery collection.

I have to believe you are a pet free home to be able to display all you gorgeous pieces this way. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Dog free anyway, my cat is fine around my pottery. Yes, love the pottery!

1 Like

Love these! The step cut is amazing in its detail. Do you know what mine the stones were from?

1 Like

Honestly don’t remember the mines. A couple are Chinese for sure. Mark used to get some really nice Nevada stones, and Cerrillos as well. I’ve got pages of photos of pendants we made for him. Will post more here and there.

2 Likes

In order of popularity, this is the general buying trend I have seen over the years @chamekke : rings, earrings, necklaces / pendants, bracelets, pins / brooches.

2 Likes

I am close to that…rings, cuffs, necklaces/pendants, earrings. Native made earrings are harder for me since the piercing in my right ear has stretched.

1 Like

Here are a few more pendants, Ziacat. We also made quite a bit of jewelry in early 20th century revival style, and had the opportunity to work with some really beautiful stones.

7 Likes

Gorgeous! Beautiful silverwork and stones. Thanks for posting these.

2 Likes

@mmrogers These are fabulous. In NA/Southwestern jewelry, the first thing to draw me in is the turquoise stone(s). Each of these stones is a beauty! I also like the designs & silverwork on these pendants. I would’ve been hard-pressed to choose only 1 to purchase.

3 Likes

I’m going to have some fun adding my smallish collection of pendants. These are only pendants; I have already posted my pin/pendants in the thread about pins. I also put them with the necklaces I usually wear them on (although I sometimes play switcheroo). And the Canadian First Nation animal carvings wanted to join in…

Left to right:

1. cross is by Phillip Guerro and it’s on a little Kewa necklace
  2. Hopi thunderbird by Manuel Hoyongowa (chain is native made, prob Navajo, don’t remember for sure)
  3. Saguaro is a collab by Britwest and Navajo Robert Livingston (it has natural Sonoran Gold turquoise) on my mom’s necklace by Mary Lovato (bought at Eiteljorg Art Market)
  4. Raven/whale first Nation pendant (gosh I can’t remember the artist right now)
  5. Hopi pendant that was a small buckle that I had converted (again, I can’t remember the artist) on a Navajo necklace I got this summer at the Eiteljorg

I can give details cause I don’t have that many :grin:
Oh, the bear we got in Jasper, Alberta, and the seal my mom bought in Ontario many years ago.

Thanks for letting me share! Hubby is off playing cards, so I had some time on my hands.

9 Likes