Forgot to ask about artist when bought it

I’m going to try my first new topic.

I bought this Navajo cuff prob around 2005 at Blair’s Dinnebito Trading Post in Page, AZ (I just saw that it is permanently closed☹️). I didn’t ask them who the artist was, and I have not been able to find the Hallmark on the internet. I don’t have any books on hallmarks except one on Hopi artists.

Has anyone seen this Hallmark? Thank you!!

1 Like

It was in their pawn section.

Bille Hougart’s book has mention of a Navajo with the name of J. Billie listed who’s hallmark is J. Billie. It does not say, in the book, if there is an arrow and there is no photo of the hallmark. there is no other information about this person. Nothing about birth/death yr, what their first name may have been, the style of silverwork, or when they made jewelry.

1 Like

l couldn’t find anything on the hallmark but the bracelet did remind me of Thomas Curtis inspired piece.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it! I think J. Billie will remain a bit of a mystery, and I’m ok with that. The cuff makes me happy. If memory serves me right, they really liked it at Blair’s, but they didn’t know him either.

1 Like

Thank you for checking for me. And it does seem to be inspired by the Curtis cuff. It’s got a lot of weight to it, and the stamping looks similar.

It’s always fun to have a little mystery. Who knows you may find out 10 yrs from now something new. In the meantime you have a great cuff to wear and love

1 Like