Still looking

I bought a cuff years ago and can’t find the artist. I made my first post about it. Forgot to ask about artist when bought it Every so often I go online to see if I can find other items with same hallmark. Found this the other day.

Although it doesn’t look that similar to me. Then I found other items by a Henry J Billie (in the above online link). Could they be the same person? I don’t have books with Navajo hallmarks. Appreciate any insight!

Sorry if the order of this is confusing; I’m still trying to figure out how to put online links in the copy.

1 Like

So not same guy. Thank you for looking, Steve. Someone else had found the J BILLIE hallmark for me, but I had not seen all of them together. The only thing I’ve ever found online with the same hallmark as mine is the above pic. I love the cuff; it’s quite heavy and fits well. I bought it pawn at a trading post in Page, AZ.

4 Likes

Stunning! I would’ve been all over that one too. Don’t know how I missed your post before.

4 Likes

Thanks! It was over a year ago I posted it. I’m kind of bummed because I got it at Blair’s Dinnebito Trading Post in Page, which I loved going to, and I Googled it last year and found out it was closed. All my favorite places are closing!

It has a scratch on the front because I was hiking Observation Point trail in Zion with my husband, and I tripped and fell and it hit the ground. I was at least glad I didn’t have on a cuff with turquoise. And that I tripped past the spot with the thousand foot cliff drop off :scream:

4 Likes

That is just plain Yummie! Love your story about tripping when hiking in Zion (Ahhh, I love Zion). I do have acouple simple cuffs I’ll wear when hiking or working outdoors, but I’d leave this beauty in a safe place :wink:.

3 Likes

Yes, Zion is one of my happy places - used to be anyway. I think when I go back it will have to be winter (or late fall or early spring). We’ve been there many times, but the last time we visited (summer '17) it was ridiculously crowded, even worse now. Although when we hiked Observation Point trail we left the crowds immediately (it is 8 mi total which prob had something to do with that :laughing:). I hiked Angels Landing years ago before the crowds; would not attempt it now (also too chicken to do it again anyway), because the crowds make it look completely unsafe.

I’ve had good luck shopping for Native American jewelry in Zion also, both in the park shop (bought a lovely pawn cuff there), and in some shops in Springdale.

2 Likes

Oh, I certainly agree about Zion! Although we haven’t spent any time there for probably 12 -15 years, aside from a drive through on our way home a couple years ago. I agree with your thoughts; seems like those of us who experienced the glorious Southwest parks 20, 30+ years ago are disappointed by the crowds and recent changes to parks. I really miss those days. I know what you mean about drop-offs;I remember hiking one of the trails with our son when he was around 6-7…we had a harness and leash on him! My favorite time in the southwest is October, just before some parks close. Thanks for the memories!

1 Like

The overcrowding and change to the national parks system is everywhere. We’ve been to a lot of them and part of what we always loved about it was being able to be away from crowds while on vacation. Things have really changed, especially in some of the bigger parks, and the effects on the ecosystems has been hard as a result. Some of the parks are even having to institute a timed entry system to distribute the crowds more evenly and I weep if this is what it’s going to be like to visit the parks going forward!
Visiting them has been my hobby for more than 25 years! However, it’s a double-edged sword as the national Parks system has suffered from lack of funding for years, and increased crowds do bring in much needed money. I just hope people can take seriously the importance of being good stewards of the parks and leaving no traces but I have my doubts about that…

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more. One of my nephews is the park superintendent of Colorado National Monument. I hesitate to even say this, but if you want to visit a beautiful uncrowded National Park try that one. It’s only about an hour from Moab, and right outside Grand Junction.

I have pictures of my husband and I at Horseshoe Bend of the Colorado River right outside Page. We’re almost the only people there. I get sick to my stomach when I see the photos now of the crowds. But then on the other hand, I’m glad people are enjoying our wonderful Park system. I think the timed entrances are going to be key for some of the parks. And when I can I’m going to travel to the less visited parks, and the bigger parks off season.

My husband and I, matter of fact my whole family, have always been huge National Park fans. My brother that just passed was in Congress for 12 years, and was head of the National Parks Committee for quite some time. Boy did I learn a lot about the issues that the parks face.

1 Like

We’ve been to Colorado national monument… How cool that your nephew’s the superintendent there! I think we were there in 2017. It was relatively uncrowded when we went and you’re right, it’s beautiful! So interesting that road snaking down into the body of the canyon that they drove cattle down. Pretty precarious! And Moab is such an awesome town. I sure hope I get to go back again sometime soon.

When we visited horseshoe bend, there was one other car in the parking area, and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It was like that in so many places and parks over the years, but those days are gone. I hope the NPS can figure out how to manage the larger crowds if this is the way it’s going to be, and I’m with you, I guess we’ll be visiting in the off-seasons and going to some of the less popular parks. We have covered most of more popular ones in years past and are now trying to get to some of the less traveled ones; maybe our timing is good on that. We’ve been to 35 of them now, and countless state parks and other units. Each one is unique and it never gets old.

I’d say you probably have had a front row seat to all the NPS issues since your brother had such a big hand in that committee. It’s such a vital part of our country, and to preserve the special places, and he probably had his hands full!

2 Likes

Wow!! You’ve been to a lot. Prob similar amount for us, but not sure. But I do have friends and family out there. Maybe we’ve visited same parks at same time!

I’m trying to think of the least visited we’ve been lately. Cedar Breaks National Monument, North Rim of Grand Canyon wasn’t bad (and it’s my favorite park), and Big Bend was empty. It was quite a while ago we were in Big Bend, but it is really out of the way. And the east unit of Saguaro National Park is less crowded. You might think about trying the MI parks. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the UP is beautiful, and I am pretty sure Isle Royale is empty (but haven’t been there). And Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is one of my absolute favorites. The Great Lakes are truly a national treasure.

K, I’ll stop rambling now since this is supposed to be a turquoise forum😆

3 Likes