Gecko hallmark on turquoise Navajo ring

Hi everyone, I hope this is ok to post. I am just about to purchase my second Navajo ring and I was wondering whether anyone would be able to tell me who the artist could be, the hallmark is a gecko with an A underneath as seen in the photo which is hopefully attached.
Thanks

2 Likes

etsy seems to be flooded with them so it’s possible the little bug is a trademark of some kind & the “A” stamp was the assembler

edit to add this: 2 of these is not like the other

4 Likes

I also saw that Calvin Peterson attribution on the Amerindian site, and am wondering if that is one of the things they have wrong. When I looked up his jewelery online, I didn’t see any pieces with that gecko/frog /whatever it is hallmark.

1 Like

source: https://alltribes.com/brands/Calvin-Peterson.html

2 Likes

Just as an aside… I keep hearing that some of the information on the Amerindian site is wrong. Does anyone ever send in corrections or updates? Is the maintainer of the site receptive to these?

@chamekke , I sent an unknown hallmark to him a few years ago. Never heard anything. Would have been nice if he at least told me if and where he put it in the site, or at least let me know that he received it. So good luck with that.

1 Like

The last stated update to the site is 2021, as is the end date on the copyright years listed at the bottom. Could be defunct.

1 Like

before I purchased my reference book, art-amerindien was the 1st stop.

not finding N.Pino there I sent in some clear photos of my bug on Feb 3 2019

I received a reply March 22 2020 with ID and a crop of the mark from my photo was added to his site

n.pino4

the bigger question is why are so many different marks attributed to Calvin Peterson and which ones are legit ?

2 Likes

Interesting. I just noticed this as being listed as the home page for Art Amerindien

I was only going to the hallmarks page in the past.
It is available in French and English.

2 Likes

The items I looked up that were overlay had either of the two marks from your book, not the gecko. Amerindian also has the written hallmark. Not sure where Amerindian came up with attributing the gecko to him.

Your spider is cool, except I was bitten by one once, and got a nasty infection, so spider jewelry creeps me out a bit :laughing:

1 Like

the stick pin was found in an out of the way thrift shop warehouse storefront that was only open for a short time and I had to pass it everyday going home from work. the good old daze :sunglasses:

found an earlier gecko mark also attributed to Calvin Peterson but I’m trying not to add to the confusion

1 Like

But that’s interesting, I believe this piece also says Mexico? So maybe the gecko is a Mexican jewelry mark (I know nada about Mexican jewelry), and the eBay listing of the necklace being Calvin Peterson is wrong (imagine that :laughing:).