Green(ish) turquoise pendant

Another mystery piece. Not in terms of who made it — that I do know. I’m just curious about the turquoise.

Any guesses which mine this might have come from? (Emphasis on the “might,” I suppose) Seller didn’t know, and was honest about not knowing.

To my inexpert eyes, it looks like it might be Royston … maybe? I like it wherever it’s from. I have a weakness for green turquoise. (Also blue, and aqua, and teal, and and and :roll_eyes:)

This was a really hard colour to capture in a photo, by the way!

10 Likes

@chamekke Oh, that’s a beautiful pendant! I don’t know the type of turquoise but think Royston could be possible. This is a beauty of a stone! I’m partial to green turquoise myself (especially dark green Royston.) Though, I generally don’t see a lot of green turquoise in the best of condition.

2 Likes

IMHO, my vote goes to Royston.

2 Likes

I think it looks like Royston also. But maybe Pilot Mountain? Jason has mentioned that Pilot Mountain is often a thinner (flatter?) cut, can’t tell if yours is flatter or more domed.

Whatever, it’s a beautiful pendant, stone and silverwork. Wear it with joy! Now you need a nice thin turquoise heishi necklace to put it on :grin:

I’m not sure if I own any Royston, but I have one ring that I wonder if it could be. I was told by the store I bought it from that it was possibly Pilot Mountain, but they kind of remind me of each other sometimes.

2 Likes

BTW, does I have a hallmark? The bezel is very similar to my ring.

1 Like

Thank you, @Patina @StevesTrail @ZiaCat ! Sounds like Royston is the tentative consensus.

@Ziacat, this is a prominently domed stone. Definitely not a thin slice! I’ll try to take a side-view pic of it when there’s daylight again. That seems to make Pilot Mountain less likely, from what you said.

And yes, it’s marked! It’s stamped “C. DRAPER” and “STERLING”. Some online shops say the artist’s full name is Charleston Draper. I don’t know anything else about him, aside from the fact that he is Navajo and has a very distinctive style. All the pendants I’ve seen have a vaguely fishy appearance, as the curved “fishtail” element hides the shepherd’s hook that he evidently prefers to a standard bail. I don’t know Draper’s age, how long he’s been making his jewellery or even if he’s still alive. I have a feeling he’s still active though. Hopefully!

3 Likes

3 Likes

@Steve , thank you! Much appreciated!

(Also Charlton makes perhaps more sense than Charleston … I learned “Charleston Draper” is the name of a posh little cafe in Utah :slight_smile: )

P.S. Here’s the mark on this pendant:

C_DRAPER_hallmark

2 Likes

That would be lovely, all right!
If you can recommend any reputable online sellers for that, I’m all ears :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I would try Facebook marketplace first (no commission to pay) and research prices. NA jewelry is hot and everyone is asking crazy prices for it. @mmrogers or @Jason might be able to give you some insight.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I generally don’t shop online; I bought mine at the Eiteljorg Western Art Museum market. You could check store’s websites like Perry Null https://perrynulltrading.com/ and Garland’s https://www.shopgarlands.com/ I’m not on facebook, but @StevesTrail is probably right about that.

I’m thinking you also might have some luck checking the website of the Indian Pueblo store in Albuquerque.
https://www.indianpueblostore.com/ You could call some of these places to get some ideas. And yes, they might be more pricey, but they’d be legit. I paid a fair amount for my little ones, but it was worth it. And I don’t think they were outrageous prices to buy them from the artist.

These are my 3 small ones. The black one is the skinniest, and works the best. There were a couple young Kewa ladies (teens!) who had a booth with even skinnier necklaces that would work great with very small pendant bails. Unfortunately I don’t remember their names. Good luck!

I also often tie my pendants on a simple leather cord. Then I can tie them higher like a choker, and I think it looks kind of cool.

Your pendant is so beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you @StevesTrail and @Ziacat for all those terrific suggestions. I’ll look into those places. I think I’d already taken a peek at Perry Null and Garland’s; but the Indian Pueblo store is new to me, and of course Facebook Marketplace is a great idea!

@Ziacat , here is a photo of the stone as seen from the side. Maybe not quite as prominently rounded as I’d thought! The setting adds to the impression of height, of course.

And here is the back with its shepherd hook, also as seen from the side. I really like this style of “bail”. It’s very versatile, opens and closes easily to accommodate thinner chains or to slide onto larger ones. (@Ziacat , the leather cord idea is inspired — in fact I came across one in a jewellery box yesterday and failed to think that it would be great with pendants like this. So thank you for the tip!)

I really like that style bezel on your pendant. I’ve seen it before, or similar, used on rings & pendants. Does anyone know if there’s a specific name for this particular style? Thx.

1 Like

Very pretty pendant with lovely silver work. My guess is Royston or King’s Manassa. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve wondered that too! I think of them as crenellations, but surely that’s not the actual name for it. This bezel style is typical of Mr Draper’s pieces.

1 Like

Hi Patina. The bezel is most likely 24 or 26 gauge sterling sheet with the separations hand sawn with a jewelers saw. When I make this type of bezel I lay the saw blade on its side directly in front of a cut and roll it over the width of the blade into the next cut. The technique creates very even spacing between the cuts. We just call this a hand sawn bezel.

4 Likes

@mmrogers Thank you for this explanation. I have zero knowledge about the process of jewelry making so this was helpful to me. I can only imagine the patience and multiple skills required to create jewelry.

2 Likes

@Ziacat , I forgot to thank you for the advice on using smaller heishi — and sharing your photograph. Those are lovely! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like