Huge Pendant I love - any thoughts?

@Ziacat…exactly! I know Stormy mountain is in Elko County and Blue Diamond is outside of Austin (Lander County), quite a distance apart. But the turquoise, to my eye, is so simular!

3 Likes

Speaking of differences in Blue Diamond Turquoise, I’m posting a broach I purchases probably 25+ years ago. It was said to be Blue Diamond. I have seen some Blue Diamond with out the black chert, but the vas majority seems to have it. Sometimes I think the more you know, the more you know you don’t know😆

6 Likes

Found a picture

5 Likes

Wow, interesting turquoise! I’ve never see any turquoise with such large blocky chert!

1 Like

I haven’t either til I got the ring. But it does make sense now.

2 Likes

Glad I posted the pics. My ring doesn’t look like any of these, but when Jason mentioned Blue Diamond, I looked it up. I think he said with my ring, because it was that dark and from NV, he thought possibly Blue Diamond. Then when I saw the pendant, I remembered in the back of my brain what I’d googled. But like @Bmpdvm said, Stormy Mountain can look similar. Here’s another pic.

I love your ring!

6 Likes

Wow - they really DO look amazingly alike! I can really see it in that pic you just shared @Ziacat. I wonder if there is any way to distinguish (Ha - we should be so lucky). @JW your ring is really incredible and so very unique - I’ve always been partial to rectangular shaped rings and the setting mirrors the Chert - really cool. Do hope Jason chimes in. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So then I found this……

6 Likes

OH MY! I’ve never even heard of this one! Wowzers :joy: Love it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I wonder why they call this spider web? Doesn’t look very webby in particular to me. :person_shrugging: The pieces remind me of stained glass shapes.

5 Likes

It might have been one of those spiders that took LSD.

8 Likes

K, I laughed out loud. Literally.

6 Likes

OK @Ziacat, I was going through emails this evening and looked at an email from Four Winds Gallery…lookie what I found:

This Blue Diamond pendant by Steve Arviso, looks similar to your ring…so much for the blocky black chert. Seems Blue Diamond has several faces; this more smokey turquoise is pretty nice! Steve Typically uses high grade turquoise, so is the more smokey turquoise considered higher grade?

5 Likes

I guess I see what you mean, just mine is SO dark. I have no idea on what makes it more valuable. I didn’t pay much for the ring, but it’s a pretty simple setting (which is often what I’m drawn to), no hallmark, and the stone was loose (which I had fixed). Here is a link to the original discussion about it.Really dark turquoise

Beautiful pendant and stone.

3 Likes

So…you have a gorgeous dark Smokey Blue Diamond ring (or whatever :laughing:)

4 Likes

Wonderful pieces! The first is quintessential
Art Tafoya, the second pendant not so much. Fun to seeing him mixing it up a bit…so well done, but a fly? Still can’t quite understand the gemmy green Blue Diamond turquoise! I guess I’ll never completely understand identifying turquoise from the appearance.

4 Likes

Bob Brucia had these images in his book, the first is Blue Diamond and the second Carlin. Always nice to know you just don’t know.

Uploading: tempImageodUoQM.jpg…

8 Likes