I’d love to see more Spiderweb turquoise

I was looking back through this post, and I noticed that the Kingman stones in these photos that you attached have some tiny little black specks inside the circles. I bought a ring with an Ithica Peak stone (per the artist), and I had noticed some little black dots inside the circles in the matrix. I also have a cuff with a Kingman stone that has a few of these dots. Is this particular to stones from the Kingman area?

3 Likes

I think of Golden Canyon having that same look.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will Google that too out of curiosity. Just still wanting to learn more!

1 Like

@Ziacat I see what you are saying…Ithica Peak is actually mined from an area that is part of the Kingman mining operation, so that explains the similarity with black web Kingman. They both are beautiful sky blue with black spiderweb matrix, but I’ve been told that Ithica Peak had larger amounts of pyrite. I’ve seen alot of Ithica Peak with tons of pyrite, but also some with no visible pyrite.
Sorry, I don’t know anything about the black dots…I’ll have to check my Kingman pieces.
FYI, this is a ring of mine that I’ve been told is Ithica Peak

2 Likes

So I bought this ring this summer at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market in Indianapolis directly from the Navajo artist, Milford Calamity. He said it was natural Ithaca Peak turquoise. It doesn’t appear to have a lot of pyrite, but it does sparkle gold a little bit in the sun. It has those little tiny dots in the circles.

Yes, I knew Ithaca peak was in that area so I wondered. Not all my Kingman has it, but another one of my pieces does. It has a natural (what I think of as what they call Bird’s Eye) Kingman stone, which the artist had bought directly from the mine. .

@Ziacat good to know, and important information! And as with all turquoise, interesting to see the variety from the same mine.
I don’t think I have any “Birdseye” pieces, but will keep looking,

1 Like