I’d love to see more Spiderweb turquoise

I’d love everyone to post their spiderweb turquoise, weather or not you know the type: I’ll go first:

Vintage cluster cuff:

Wonderful cluster ring. According to Gene Waddell, this is Lone Mountain turquoise:

14 Likes

Here’s a pawn cuff I bought at Shush Yaz in Gallup years ago. Didn’t know the turquoise then, but another shop owner in Sedona later said it might be Stormy Mountain; I have no idea.

Might post something else later.

11 Likes

Gorgeous! That deep blue…wonder want Jason thinks. Regardless, it has that Zat!

3 Likes

And your pieces are gorgeous, I meant to say that. I especially love the ring. I have a belt buckle that is lone mountain. I’ll have to put that on this thread eventually. You have awesome stuff!

Do you know what kind of turquoise that is in your cuff?

1 Like

Thanks! I wish I knew about the bracelet. I’m hoping for suggestions from this forum, but as with these older pieces, I’ll likely never know. Love to see your LM buckle!

1 Like

Here is the Lone Mountain turquoise buckle. I don’t wear it often, because I inherited several buckles from my parents that I like much better (one of them being the one with the Bisbee that reminded me of your buckle). But I keep it because of the documented stone.

It’s not a big stone, but I like it. Got it in Flag back in the 90’s from a great place with an owner who looked and sounded just like Sam Elliot. He was always so willing to share info and teach customers about Native jewelry. But last time I checked it out, the store had changed hands and just wasn’t the same.

11 Likes

Great LM stone! I do the same thing; wear my pieces occasionally, but some I keep because I love the turquoise or the beauty of the hand work. It’s so much more than just jewelry😄. Your Bisbee buckle is a classic, you are fortunate to have that fabulous piece!

2 Likes

Here’s a few pieces I have:

This last one was a source of some controversy when I posted it here… Some felt it may have been dyed magnesite, but it’s a reputable artist (Clarence Bailon), and my gemologist looked at it pretty closely and said that it was Chinese turquoise, she thought. It’s a nice cuff no matter what it is.

11 Likes

Gorgeous!! Love them all but especially the middle one. Is it sandcast?

1 Like

@Ziacat thank you so much! It is such a fun journey trying to collect these. Yes, the one piece is my first sand cast piece I collected, and I really love it. The color of the turquoise is also so lovely.

The second pendant that I posted is a little discolored in the picture: it’s more of a creamy light greenish turquoise than the picture that I took in sunset light, appears.

2 Likes

I like the last cuff too. To me it looks like real turquoise, but I’m no expert.

I looked closer at the turquoise in the top piece; it seems like there’s a tiny bit of bright green up in the top corner. Turquoise is so interesting! Did you have that in another post a long time ago? Before I joined this group I read back through most of the posts, and it seems like I remember that piece.

1 Like

@Ziacat thanks again… I do think it is real, also; it has matrix and there are variations in the color of the stone enough that look like other turquoise pieces I have that I think it probably is the real thing. It is well made and very heavy, and different than anything else that I have.

Yes, your memory is correct! I posted this one here shortly after I got it in the summer, asking what everyone thought it was. The seller was not sure and Jason said that he thought it was likely high quality Chinese turquoise. It is fairly evenly colored except for that little shade of green that you do see at the top. Here’s the link to that discussion:. Pendant stone

3 Likes

Thanks for the link back to the post. Reread it - so interesting!

2 Likes

Wow! Fabulous! The top piece with the deep blue is amazing! Funny, I’ve gone through stages of collecting where I’m attracted to certain styles of jewelry or types of turquoise. Right now the deep blue spiderweb has caught my eye. But it’s great to see the variety of spiderweb in your pieces - that last cuff is wonderful, the turquoise reminds me of an older ring I have:

12 Likes

@Bmpdvm thank you! I know what you mean… I go through stages also, where I’m interested in one thing or another, and it changes. So as a result, I’ve ended up with a pretty varied collection, which I like.

I love the colors in your ring! Shades of blue and green together make it really stand out.

4 Likes

Is that stone possibly Kingman? It reminds me of the stone in this cuff which is natural Kingman (artist bought it directly from the mine).

Beautiful ring.

10 Likes

I don’t know if this classifies as spiderweb :face_with_monocle:
I think it’s super pretty though, it’s a gloomy day here,the stone is much more beautiful in natural light.

15 Likes

wow @Ziacat! Fabulous piece and does appear similar to mine. Mine is pretty old, the twisted wire around the bezel is quite warn, so its been around awhile! So far, Kingman is high on the list of possibilities. Thanks!

2 Likes

A couple of pieces. First, an oval two-sided cab of Red Mountain in a necklace. By which I mean it was finished and is viewable front and back, unusually. Second pic is of the back.

Then one of my special bracelets, seven cabs of Lone Mountain and Red Mountain, both (I’m not perfectly sure which stone is which). As you see, the center cab is pillow shaped. They are very, very dark to the eye, the darkest turquoise I’ve seen or owned, owing to the tight webbing. This outdoors lighting displays lighter than it appears to the eye.

18 Likes

@TaraFawn75 What a great bracelet! Good question, I have no idea how spiderweb is defined and at what point it is no longer considered spiderweb. Is just a descriptive term. I’ve always felt that spiderweb refers to a very fine, almost lacy, webbing throughout the stone, but who knows? Interestingly I have a ring with very similar turquoise.

3 Likes