I'm starting the countdown

I’d love to make it to this some year! And it’s only half as far from the East coast as all the other artist shows. Any tips on what else there is to do in Indianapolis and environs? I feel like I need something else besides a Native art museum and show (which is more than enough for me) to sell the husband.

1 Like

Hmmmm…I haven’t been to downtown Indy much since covid except last year’s market. We used to go downtown to eat and shop, and loved it, but I honestly don’t know what’s all there now. If you and/or your hubby are college hoops fans, the NCAA Basketball Hall of Fame is next to the IN State museum (I don’t know that it would interest people other than IN history fans) which is right next to the Eiteljorg. The Eiteljorg is just a few blocks from the downtown and the Capitol building. Chicfarmer mentioned she though the State Art Museum and grounds were impressive; I haven’t been there since HS.

If either of you are into Indy Car racing, there is always the Indy 500 speedway. I think you can even take rides around the race course (I’ve never been).

Couple hours south is Nashville (IN not TN :grin:) in Brown County which is known for cute little shops and restaurants, again I haven’t spent much time there, but people I know love it. It does have a very country/rustic vibe.

Because we live closer to MI we take most of our short trips to the Great Lakes instead of south, so I’m not as up to date on Indy except for the Eiteljorg.

2 Likes

OO, there’s a really nice foodie scene (that surprised me) in the downtown/Bottleworks district, catering to what seems to be a significant younger-demographic workforce. Indy also has a huge and maybe the first ever Children’s Museum. If you’d drive, I have some thoughts for along the way.

2 Likes

I totally forgot about the Children’s Museum. If you go out of downtown on Meridian Street the Children’s Museum is slightly north. And I also forgot about the Broadripple area. That’s known for lots of little restaurants, shops, and a nice music scene. My husband thinks they have some blues there. Broadripple is not walking distance from downtown.

2 Likes

Indy Racing Experience | Visit Indy.

We are watching the Indy 500 right now so I thought I’d try to link this in case anyone considering coming to the Market needs some else exciting to do! There’s also links within with other stuff.

Youza, this race is ending with a lot of wrecks…

Edit: yay Chevy car won

1 Like

@Ziacat
Have fun tomorrow, and take lots of photos to share with us!

1 Like

Thank you! Last year I forgot to get pics while I was there. I’ll try to remember this time :rofl:

You guys are all so kind. I wish we could shop together!

2 Likes

We will shop virtually with you! Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Oh my, too many decisions!! Looking at a Mary Tafoya hummingbird necklace, and some gorgeous stuff from Lita Atencio, and a silver cuff from Robert Johnson. Not enough dollars for all! And I’ve only looked about half way through…

Edit: I gave in and shopped before I’ve seen it all. Fell in love with this gentleman’s work. All sandcast cuffs with natural stones.

Navajo Reggie Mitchell
Candelaria turquoise

10 Likes

Is Elias Jade Not Afraid there, I think he may be? I wish I was there! Thanks for being our on the ground reporter!

2 Likes

I’ll have to look, not sure. But first I’m starved…:joy: Figuring out how to spend my money is hard…

3 Likes

I love it, nice choice! I was also really tempted by Lita Atencio’s necklaces at the Autry fair. There was an orange spiny one I thought was fabulous and layered so nicely with my other necklaces. And it you love something you absolutely should give in and get it before you’ve seen it all! It could be gone before you make it back.

5 Likes

I was looking at an orange spiny from her also! Came really close.

4 Likes

This is really pretty. I would get it too. Looking forward to seeing more pictures :smiley:

2 Likes

So I bought one more item before I left (besides a CD - my car still has a CD player :joy: - from the Navajo Blues Band that performed). A Navajo gentleman there had some amazing Navajo saucer pearls which I could not afford. But they had a small one left (that I call a baby pearl necklace), so I bought that.

I thought they would go well with the necklace I already own. The one that I have, I bought pawn at Cameron Trading Post.

9 Likes

I don’t believe that artist was there; I didn’t see them listed on the handout they gave us with where everyone’s booths were. But… it was a bit overwhelming!

2 Likes

Handsome new necklace, and you’ll enjoy the smaller scale even by itself as well as paired. Oxidized, yes? Such a pretty effect. Glad you had fun! :clap:

3 Likes

Yes, I liked that about it too. And I have a couple pendants that fit on it. Even if I had the money for the large ones I don’t know how much I’d wear them, because they were pretty heavy. I just don’t wear necklaces quite as much, because between my job and then half of our year being so cold and always wearing coats, I don’t wear necklaces quite as much.

I like the effect of the two together since they’re similar but different.

2 Likes

Like a big dummy I completely forgot to take pictures of the inside of the museum where most of the artists were. I took two from the outside right when I got there, and then spaced.

And here’s one more that I’ve had on my fridge for probably about 15 years. It’s my niece, me, and my mom standing in front of the amazing deer running through the water sculpture out front (that’s not the museum behind, we’re kinda facing the wrong way).

7 Likes

Really cool, necklace. The cool thing about the variety of Native American jewelry is there is something for everyone :grin: I love to see people wearing a big squash but I know I could never pull one off. Thanks so much for sharing :grinning:

3 Likes