I'm ticked off again

OMGosh, here we go again. So I was looking up info on the artist of my cuff, this one,

And this came up.

Are you freaking kidding me?? And that is very similar to his hallmark, but definitely not his ring. And what it makes it even more bizarre is that I OWN ALMOST THIS VERY SAME RING. I bought it literally decades ago, probably in the late '80s, at a small town country fair for like 15 bucks. Here’s mine…

This is the one of the rings I always wear on my thumb. No hallmark on mine, imagine that.

Here’s the link to my original post about a similar situation. Seems people like to try to fake Hopi artists, but not even trying to do it well. This TICKS me off

2 Likes

That ring does not even look Hopi - looks Asian made. I would think a potential buyer would do an internet search first. Buyer beware more than ever these days. You should try buying antique Chinese porcelain. Fantastic copiers, usually. Point well taken but not worth getting worked up over. We just have to let it go. It’s bigger than all of us.

Hey, I have a handful of Asian .925 rings I was going to scrap. I also have a straight line stamp. Guess I might have a dozen of his rings. :rofl:

2 Likes

I hear your point about it’s bigger than all of us, but I feel the worst for the Native Americans that are getting their beautiful art ripped off. Now do I think this ring really is that big a deal? No, but it’s irritating. I emailed the seller on the other item in the link that I put in this thread, and they actually changed the copy about the item. This ring appears to have already been sold, but I emailed them anyway. Mostly what caught my eye on it was that I have practically the same ring. I’m pretty sure when I bought it way back in the day it was at a booth where they were making their own little rings.

I think it’s also important to point these things out, because we do get people on this forum who don’t know a lot about Native American art, and ask whether something is real or not. Pointing these things out can help.

Mmrogers, I know you also have strong feelings about this kind of fakery!

2 Likes

Your point is well taken and I do agree with you Ziacat. I didn’t mean to come off as not caring. I’ve consulted on counterfeit goods coming into the country and have seen a lot of it. It is serious and frustrating, and not just with NA jewelry. What is most egregious in my opinion is the increase over the years of US sellers that offer misrepresented counterfeit goods together with the buyers that keep supporting such practices. However, in my opinion, there is no excuse for failing to do your research first. I firmly believe in supporting Native and local folks who are creating wonderful items in honest employment. Hopefully comments (like yours) to sellers might have some impact.

“It’s a stupid bird the fouls its own nest” (unknown)

2 Likes

Thank you, you didn’t seem uncaring. Maybe because I don’t shop for Native jewelry on eBay and Etsy, when I see this done I get frustrated. I believe there are many sincere people who sell on these sites who mean to sell what they believe is legit stuff, but don’t really know enough. Maybe I’m up on a soapbox here, but when stuff gets represented as say, old pawn, and isn’t, I think it cheapens the image of it all, which makes me sad. I think of my job. I have to do a lot to keep my credentials up to date (I am a figure skating coach), and when someone just randomly tries to coach without having done the work it’s frustrating. But this misrepresentation of Native American art is even worse; it’s taking advantage of people who have had this done to them throughout their entire history. I wish the business could be regulated better, not necessarily by the government, but by the sellers and buyers themselves. That is wishful thinking, I know. At least on here we can learn and educate. And vent.

1 Like

Thank you Ziacat, I am one of those who is learning from this forum, and want to do my best to buy authentic Native American jewelry. I have a lot to learn!!!

2 Likes

just read an article that Ontario has busted an art forgery ring that was selling paintings purported to be by an indigenous artist.

2 Likes