Indian Silver and Knife Photography

Man, I just had to stare at that for a few moments. That definitely deserves a nice lighted display case.
I agree on the colorful, one of the least bright things I’ve done was buying a camouflaged, Mag-light flashlight and almost immediately loosing it on the job. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I have a cuff by him that would be more cool if I had a matching knife. He used the same block turquoise material in the cuff. I have a catalog of my Dads that has several pages of all types of “gemstone” handle material.

1 Like

My dumbest was always carrying a knife back in my plumbing days. Lost the tips off of several Buck and Case knives by using them for prying off delicate faucet inserts that I didn’t have a small enough screwdriver for. Apparently wasn’t smart enough to learn after the first either. :weary:

2 Likes

Love the pendant : )

1 Like

I can relate, I broke the first new one I’d ever bought with my own money. I only did it once, I think I almost cried, I’m sure I cussed. I was raised by a pack of wild plumbers. From a young age, it was, crawl under that building and tell us what you see. At 17 I went to HVAC school and haven’t plumbed anything but my own stuff since.
Plumbing Rules “Hot’s on the left, Payday is Friday, Don’t chew on your fingernails”

2 Likes

One more. A Schrade melon knife or sampling knife. It’s unusual due to the serrated blade. It has the SS102 model number on the blade but doesn’t actually have Schrade on it anywhere. It’s matched with a couple of Zuni cuffs. The sun-face cuff is unsigned, the waterbird cuff is by Lynette Laiwakete. They’re all on a lidded honeysuckle basket.

9 Likes

Is there a knife in that photo? All I see are two outstanding cuffs! :+1:

3 Likes

Yea…well, I’m just about out of silver stuff any way, I might just have to bust out them big chunky Santo Domingo necklaces on y’all next time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

TAH made me have to go out and get a very slightly used Buck 110. It has 2 scratches on the upper bolster that keep it from being perfect.
Darn you Tah!:grin:

Oh!.. and my new Conestoga bolo and buckle set.

6 Likes

Hey AC,

Glad to see you finally own a REAL knife! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

According to the date code on the blade stamp, your 110 was made in 2017 and has a 420HC stainless steel blade. If the two scratches on the bolster bother you, they might buff out with Flitz, which is a polishing paste. If Flitz doesn’t work, another option would be to send your knife to Buck with a money order for $6.95 and the knife will come back like new. Regardless, you now own a true American classic with a lock that locks open like a bank vault. Congrats! :smiley: :+1:

Great looking bolo and buckle set, as well. The inlay work is amazing. Zuni made?

1 Like

Hey Tah, the same Buck 110, it’s been living in my pocket everyday for the last 10 months or so. Working on some patina on the bolsters. Only 40 more years to go. LOL

5 Likes

110 is looking good, AC! The patina on those bolsters is coming around. I took my 110 on vacation to Utah and Arizona this summer. It makes a great all-round knife for travel. Anyway, we were on the Navajo Reservation for a few days and during that time, I saw two Navajo men carrying a 110 in the black leather Buck sheath. Those guys know their knives. :+1:

I’m still diggin’ that buckle of yours. I’ve been into Zuni inlay recently. :slightly_smiling_face:

Updated photo of my beloved Buck 110 and a super cool Mexican-handmade belt sheath… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

What a beautiful photo! When I saw it I made a little squeaky sound! :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you! I know the feeling. I make a little squeaky sound every time I mess up and need to retake a photo. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Here’s a Case pocketknife made between 1940-1964. The butterfly “spacer” on the hatband was an extra off of my wife’s concho belt. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

@TAH When I turned this picture on its side it looks like its a reflection of half of itself on still water! I guess you recognize it, it’s your buckle from the second post in this thread.

6 Likes

Hi Jeff, it does look like a reflection. Cool illusion and good observation! :+1:

1 Like

Oh my, awesome buckles. I know next to nothing about knives, but my dad would loved this thread - he loved both too. Unfortunately he passed back in 81. But he had a Dan Simplicio buckle he got in 1971 that I inherited. I do wear that! Girls wear buckles too…

2 Likes

My pictures aren’t as beautifully composed as yours! However, here are my Frye boots, my sandcast cuff (thoughts on turquoise type appreciated!), and my son’s Navajo-handmade antler knife and sheath.

I gave the knife to him as a gift last Christmas, and we love the turkey carved into the handle. He was born in November, so this was fitting that he’s my turkey baby. Somewhere I have the name of the artist who made the knife and sadly, he passed away during the pandemic, according to the shopkeeper where I bought it. :sweat:

4 Likes