Interesting day at work

Yesterday, I was visiting a manufacturing company and the entire lobby and offices were filled with Western art - mostly paintings and some sculpture.

At the end of our meeting, we toured the plant and there was artwork hanging on the walls throughout the factory! Craziest thing I have ever seen.

Anyway, we turn the corner and there was a large rug hanging on the wall, again out in the plant. I’m thinking it was Navajo - possibly Klagetoh or Teec Nos Pos. Any thoughts?

11 Likes

K, I like that factory already :laughing:
I’ve got a Navajo rug book. I’ll see what I can find a bit later. Does look Navajo for sure.

3 Likes

I wonder if this is a Storm Pattern rug; we have 2. That was my first thought. We have a Teec Nos Pos rug and they seem much busier. The middle here isn’t a square, but it has a center with four lightening bolts going out towards the corners. The corners not being boxes isn’t typical, but we were told by the gentleman at Teec Nos Pos Trading Post, that individual designs can vary. Our Storm Patterns are quite a bit different from each other, but have the four directional design.

2 Likes

I looked in my books and nothing jumped out as a definite match. I don’t know about it being a Storm Pattern. They seem busier too. The continuous border around the factory rug is throwing me off, as is the blue color. I’m still thinking Klagetoh, but I’m just not sure. It kind of reminds me of this Klagetoh rug…

2 Likes

Those are beautiful paintings. I could see having them in an office space, but they are right by where the pallets are being stacked, that’s nuts. Wonder what the owner’s house looks like! One of the Culvers Restaurants near us used to have their walls full of WPA posters which made me happy, but that’s nothing like this!

2 Likes

Hmmm…Klagetohs seem to have that diamond shape in the middle like the one you just posted, the one on the wall doesn’t.

I’ve not seen any others besides Storm Pattern with the four zig zag bolts going to the corner pieces.

One of ours is busyish, the other is not. Also, one of ours is not the typical colors either, it’s the design.

But I’m certainly not sure, just is my best guess.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you mean. I’m certainly no rug expert, so thanks!

1 Like

It’s still a puzzle, because the corners are not boxy. One of the other fun things about most Storm Patterns are the “waterbugs” in them (although not in all).

Our other one doesn’t have the bugs.

1 Like

Great looking rug! Again, it’s the border on the factory rug that I’m questioning.

1 Like

Yep. And the corners still don’t look quite right for Storm Pattern. Thanks for posting all this, it’s been interesting!!

You know this is just making me want another rug…

1 Like

From your photo my first thought was they make blue tarps :laughing:

I like their taste in artwork.

2 Likes

Tell me about it! We’re gonna need a bigger house. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Nice artwork. private owner? Loves Native American art and gets a tax write off. Smart.

I’m going with Teec OR Crystal. The complicated design and Greek key border lead me there.

What an eyefull of treats you encountered! Obviously high-quality material.

3 Likes

Curiosity got the best of me, so this morning, I sent the owner an email regarding the rug. I’ll let you all know what I find out.

3 Likes

lol…my first thought was how much the insurance runs

2 Likes

Yes please, let us know! This is fascinating.

I had some time before work so did a little more digging. Seems there is sometimes a compilation of designs.

Tees Nos Pos and Storm Pattern

This is a Tees Nos Pos that also has the four zig zag directions in it (small though)

These are Storm Patterns with the interesting borders

And this is listed as Teec Nos Pos Storm Pattern variant

I also read on Garlands site that Storm Patterns originated at the Crystal Trading Post. And after looking at all those I think I’m leaning towards Teec Nos Pos also, especially since I saw the one that had the four zigzag directions. Can’t wait to hear what it is!

Okay, gotta get ready for work now :laughing:

1 Like

J B Moore’s rugs, in his catalog (originating at his Crystal post), are also often termed Crystal rugs, even those with the Storm Pattern or Teec patterns. When I mentioned Crystal earlier, that’s what I was thinking about.

Will be interesting to hear from the owner.

Humdingers!

3 Likes

too bad your schedule screwed up…besides the pow wow on sat.,the (in-)famous FLOATDOWN is sunday!

1 Like

Good find, Zia! This one has a very similar border pattern.

1 Like