Interesting thrifting find

Hi all :grinning: I started buying bags of jewelry from thrift stores and found quite a few pieces of real gold jewelry. So I was hooked after that lol. This is one of the sterling necklaces I found in a bag. The chevron trade beads really stood out to me because I collect them but I just wanted to share. They added some cute little sterling charms and a prayer box (that Iā€™m hesitant to open) But I love the creativity put into making pieces like this.

9 Likes

@CyanideRose18 What a nice necklace! All the different components are interesting to me & they blend together so well. During the holidays, a consignment store near me filled crystal vases with costume jewelry. They covered the tops, wrapped a beautiful bow around the vases, and priced them at $35. I believe they all sold.

3 Likes

Really nice! The dark blue beads look like Lapis Lazuli if you ask me. And is that the year 1880 inscribed on the back of the cross?

2 Likes

Beautiful cross! Has a medieval look. I also think it says 1880?

2 Likes

What a great find!! It does say 1880 on the back but I cannot make out the rest of the inscription above it. Looks like someone took an old antique and put some newer beads on itā€¦they did a good job, I really like it.

If our thrift shops here gave away bags of jewelry, all that would be in it would be cheapy crap from Wal-Mart and the dollar store. :unamused:

5 Likes

The script looks German, beginning with ā€œAā€ and ending with ā€œ**aisingerā€.

ETA: Taking another look, the inscription looks like ā€œA Kraisingerā€.

6 Likes

I gave it a shot trying to decipher the writing

1st 2 letters look like they were ā€œilluminatedā€ like old manuscripts

persons name? year of death?

image searching front of cross was a mixed bag but no direct hits

the beads and findings search kept wandering off to Tibet for some reason

did bump into 1 interesting website

7 Likes

Very cool find! Love the chevron beads. Iā€™ve been looking out for some of those myself!

2 Likes

Thanks so much Patina :smile: Itā€™s amazing what can find thrifting. I have found quite a few diamond pieces, most recently a one and a half yellow gold tennis bracelet for $17.99. The thrift has been there for five years and I just found it last September. Itā€™s only seven minutes from my house, so I go searching a lot now lol.

6 Likes

I totally agree Bluegreen :grin: Thanks so much. It looks like the bail broke at some point and they put a bunch of glue in it.

3 Likes

I was thinking about doing the pencil thing we used to do as kids lol. Thanks Ziacat :grinning: I wish I knew the history of this one. Was a thrift find that they decided to make into a necklace? Idk but it would be cool to know.

3 Likes

Thanks so much Xtina :smile: I do find a lot of junk since the bags are so big and Iā€™m going to recycle that during my recovery and make some pictures like the Christmas trees they make out of brooches but I have some other idees :grin: This is another piece I found I must have tested the gold ten times. It is 14K and topaz but way too big and heavy for me at 21 grams.

I should have cropped that lol sorry. I sent pictures to a person that deals in vintage jewelry :crazy_face:

5 Likes

You have great eyesight :grin: Thanks so much mmrogers :smiley: I looked at that for a long time and could only make out the last couple letters. Thanks so much again.

2 Likes

Steve you are the best at this :smiley: Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Much appreciated. The cross you found is gorgeous. Thanks so much again :grinning:

2 Likes

Great find @CyanideRose18 . I loved those jewelry bags until they got smart to it.

3 Likes

So I found someone with that last name that passed away here in my state. Not sure if itā€™s the same person but they passed away April 2023. A lot of stuff like this gets donated. I have stuff from some of the more well to do well know families here. I also have so many military ribbons, pins and award pins? Not sure thatā€™s what you call them. I put them in mason jars. I wouldnā€™t dream of throwing them away. Not sure what to with them though.

1 Like

Thanks so much Steve :smiley: That is so true. I found a 14k gold pandora bracelet with 10 14k gold beads and a few 14k glass beads. I showed it to the cashier and now the pandora bracelets go straight to the display case :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Stracci, Thanks so much :grin: What kind are you looking for? The chevrons are my favorite. I have been studying up on them but the book I want is so expensive. I keep hoping I find one thrifting :smiley:

1 Like

Not a good idea to inform the shop of you finds @CyanideRose18 , EVER! :grin:

4 Likes

lol :laughing: We talk about our finds a lot too but now I know better :grin:

1 Like