Is this turquoise? Does it look antique? Labeled 925, sterling silver

I know that this is why I came here for opinions

I was here to give what I’ve known to be true about the necklace because I was asked but it doesn’t mean that they are facts either

Well thank you everyone for the information and everyone’s opinion. I guess if I would like to know the age of the beads I would have to go to an expert I am not sure how they test them

Here’s my other stuff I guess I will have to take closer pictures and see what everybody thinks😆

1 Like

Okay here’s something I have some questions about. What makes something Native American Jewelry? Is it the obvious because it was jewelry made by a Native American? Also you are part native American you said and you make jewelry so I was just wondering why you don’t call your jewelry Native made? Also what is considered Southwest style jewelry and does it differ from Native American Jewelry in any way besides the ethnicity of the person who made it? I guess I always thought Native American Jewelry was considered such because it was made by Native Americans and I never considered it to be a style of jewelry. Now I’m curious if anyone has any information about what constitutes something as Native American Jewelry and what makes it authentic I would like to know. And in my opinion if the only way to get authentic Native American Jewelry is if it was made by a Native American then I would label my jewelry that way but to each their own

There are federal laws governing the commercial trade for Native American jewelry, with specific info on what can be sold as such. Penalties apply for violating these laws.

[Buying American Indian Arts and Crafts | Consumer Advice]
https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act

If you’re interested in learning about Native American Southwest jewelry, you may want to read the many books on the subject. And of course read the numerous threads with valuable info on this site.

Thread:
https://forum.turquoisepeople.com/t/books-on-southwest-indian-jewelry/3871

7 Likes

Gotcha, that makes sense. The books would be great to learn facts, as far as the threads, I think I’ll just read those for anything thats open for dispute.

There are some members here who are long time professionals. Jason from Perry Null, who owns this page, often shares his knowledge. MMRogers has been making and selling jewelry for many years.
There may be others as well.

2 Likes

Ok i thought jason was just a robot, so thats good to know :smile:

1 Like

Now all I can think about is a video of Jason doing the robot dance!

3 Likes

@Steve might chime in with some similar turquoise examples. Are you more confused now @AV ? Join the club. :grin:

1 Like

Hi!! Did you ever get the Conchos put on leather?

Yes, pictures are long overdue. Been really busy with work. I will try and remember (I have CRS) :smile: when the wife and I get back in town after the holidays.

1 Like

Yes, pics please! When you have time :grin:

A couple of the rings look like they could possibly be Native American, especially the one on the right in the first pic (does it have a hallmark on the back?). The things I circled look to be Asian made, something about the scroll work and the beading on the silver beads.

2 Likes

I second that @Ziacat !

1 Like

I think i am starting to see the difference now between the asian and native american jewelry. But it sure does make it easier when it has markings on it. I didnt grab the ring and bring it home today and i cant remember if it has a marking other than 925 on the back. , ill pick it up tomorrow. Ill post more of what i brought home today that im unsure of heres one.

one thing to note, most Native American silversmiths don’t use a “925” sterling stamp, but one with the word “sterling” spelled out. of course, there are exceptions. but a good rule of thumb is if you see 925 you will need to dig deeper to determine the origin if you are thinking Native American. Also, when you see faceted gems or beads you could buy in a craft store, that’s a good reason to dig deeper.

3 Likes

I’m thinking there are non-native items that use the word sterling. It’s just that most native made items use the word sterling vs. 925. I have one ring that has .925, but it also has the artist’s hallmark, and I bought it directly from the artist, so I knew it was native made. And some native items might have a generic stamp on the cones (I have one Navajo made necklace that does). I know, it’s all really confusing. But it’ll make sense eventually! I think what @StevesTrail was saying about the generic stamp on the cone was that it wasn’t a hallmark.

I don’t know if I stated that very clearly…

Edit: I reread what he said, and I guess that stamp is on non-native items, but like I said, I have it on a native made item which I bought at a National Park gift shop, and have documentation that it’s Navajo made. I might have to look and see if it has that exact mark.

1 Like

Gotcha thank you! Thats definitely what i was trying to figure out

1 Like