Is this turquoise? Does it look antique? Labeled 925, sterling silver

I think i am starting to see the difference now between the asian and native american jewelry. But it sure does make it easier when it has markings on it. I didnt grab the ring and bring it home today and i cant remember if it has a marking other than 925 on the back. , ill pick it up tomorrow. Ill post more of what i brought home today that im unsure of heres one.

one thing to note, most Native American silversmiths don’t use a “925” sterling stamp, but one with the word “sterling” spelled out. of course, there are exceptions. but a good rule of thumb is if you see 925 you will need to dig deeper to determine the origin if you are thinking Native American. Also, when you see faceted gems or beads you could buy in a craft store, that’s a good reason to dig deeper.

3 Likes

I’m thinking there are non-native items that use the word sterling. It’s just that most native made items use the word sterling vs. 925. I have one ring that has .925, but it also has the artist’s hallmark, and I bought it directly from the artist, so I knew it was native made. And some native items might have a generic stamp on the cones (I have one Navajo made necklace that does). I know, it’s all really confusing. But it’ll make sense eventually! I think what @StevesTrail was saying about the generic stamp on the cone was that it wasn’t a hallmark.

I don’t know if I stated that very clearly…

Edit: I reread what he said, and I guess that stamp is on non-native items, but like I said, I have it on a native made item which I bought at a National Park gift shop, and have documentation that it’s Navajo made. I might have to look and see if it has that exact mark.

1 Like

Gotcha thank you! Thats definitely what i was trying to figure out

1 Like

925 is another of my “nope” flags.

the sun on the cone is from the factory.

1 Like

Here’s an old thread about stamps on cones. Different stamp, but same idea.Hallmark on cones

Yes, except for my legit Milford Calamity (Navajo) ring which has .925 and his hallmark on it. He uses the .925 stamp quite a bit. And his stuff is DEFINITELY something I would purchase again.
Screenshot_20231222-203157~2

3 Likes

Thank you. Doesnt surprise me that its not NA jewelry. I think if there wasnt so many items made overseas that try to copy the same style, it would be easier to recognize NA jewelry.

3 Likes

Oh you are so right about that. Native American jewelry is being so copied, and it’s frustrating not only for those of us that love to buy it, but especially for those natives that make their living crafting it. It’s taught me to be crazy careful about how I shop for Native American jewelry, or any native art for that matter. People not only get taken in by how real it can look, but I also that the prices are cheaper. Unfortunately good Native American jewelry is not cheap.

3 Likes

If you have access to looking around on the Internet, you could try looking at the Jewelry at some well known retail sites. I’m not talking about, eBay or Etsy. For starters, Perry Null Trading sponsors this forum and sells Native American products. Also Malouf on the Plaza, Medicine Man Gallery, Waddell Gallery and numerous others. Once you spend some time looking at the real pieces I think you will find that you start to recognize the “look”. I hope you enjoy the treasures that you will see.

3 Likes

Maybe they should make a label that says “non-NA” for businesses that sell items so it can be very clear about what it is. Personally, im starting to dislike the “NA style” jewelry. But, if you’re someone who just like the aestetics(spelling?), with a “non NA” label it would be clear about what you are getting. And if someone is drawn to the culture, buy from the source.

2 Likes

Thank you for those sources, i will check them out for sure. Ive acutally always wondered what Perry Null was, as Ive heard it before but had no clue what it was

1 Like

You might also keep your eye open for Native American art markets at museums and such.

1 Like

Yes, that would be helpful. However, there’s enough import stuff around that those people looking for cheap pricing find what they’re looking for.
I personally collect Handmade legitimate native American pieces. I am drawn to the older pieces, but any good looking piece will catch my eye. I stick with legitimate pieces because for me it’s also an investment. I have other jewelry, but the native American is what I normally wear. The gold and diamonds stay locked away.

2 Likes

So i have a question, and of course i will look further into this, but i just want to know if i was told the wrong information. So what little knowlege i have been told about NA jewelry was mostly represented with beads. I havnt seen much of anything posted with beads? I dont really know what im asking but can someone explain to me if what the significance the beads are in NA jewelry? A reputable link would be fine

1 Like

So I don’t know if that person was talking about native jewelry by the plains Indians like the Sioux. To make it even more confusing, this site mostly focuses on Native American jewelry made by tribes that live in the southwest (Navajo, Zuni, Hopi, Santo Domingo and other pueblo peoples). So maybe whoever told you that was talking about stitched beading on items. Like this perhaps?

1 Like

Here’s a link…Native American Beadwork | Traditional Beading History, Patterns & Styles - PowWows.com

We don’t get into a discussion much on here about the Plains or Eastern Indians where you will find more of the beadwork (or even work from the Pacific Coast Indians for that matter).

1 Like

Btw, my husband just got home from work. He took my ring with him today so he could have it tested when he went on lunch. Its unmounted so we can send it in to be graded. I am so frickin happy i dont even know what to saybut oksorry off topic…last post thanks a bunch everyone💗

2 Likes

I have several Santa Domingo necklaces and I’ll try to add some pictures. They are an assortment of styles that may help you get a little bit of An idea of some of the different styles.

8 Likes

It’s obvious you are differentiating between the two @AV .

2 Likes