Knifewings and Rainbowmen

I had hoped to have something you could zoom into a little better but it’s a bit fuzzy when you do.

I don’t know why, but the phrase “Knifewings and Rainbowmen” reminds me of an episode of the Brady Bunch where they were pretending to be gangsters and kept saying, with a slight lisp, “Porkchops and Applesauce”. :thinking: Thanks Sherwood Schwartz for sticking that in my brain for the rest of my life. Don’t even get me started on all the Gilligan’s Island stuff that’s stuck in there. :rofl:

Ok, the three boxes as well as the cuff leaning on the last box are all hallmarked with CG Wallace shopmarks, as are the Knifewing and Rainbowman directly above the last box.

All of the sterling Rainbowmen (7) are hallmarked FJ for Frances Jones.

The big 3 Knifewing Necklace above the center box is by Arnold Cellicion.

The big Rainbowman below the center box was made by Esther Wood.

Ask if you have Q’s, I probably know who made a little over half of them.

18 Likes

@TaraFawn75, I noticed that you had ask about a knifewing in another thread and I never answered you, it was like the one below the last box. I’m sure you’ve found out by now but that was made by Alonzo Hustito.

1 Like

So this is rather mind-blowing! Amazing collection, thanks for sharing.

And now I can’t unhear it either…

I think it also sounds like a Marvel movie name!

4 Likes

This is really an outstanding collection, AC. So much fun to study! My favorite is still the one I saw a few years ago - last row, two down - Knifewing with kicked up crazy feet. :+1:

Now if you really want to impressive me, tell me how many individual inlays make up the entire collection. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grin:

4 Likes

That’s one of my favorites too. @Jemez2 called that one Yippie Yahooie and the name has stuck. Made by Dexter Cellicion. I’ll be back shortly with a count of the individual inlay pieces…not! :rofl:

5 Likes

I keep coming back to admire your collection, Jeff. What’s the story with the large center box? Maker, age, etc.? Love the carved wings and tail.

1 Like

@AC Stunning, focused collection, just wow! :star_struck: Knifewing is definitely one of my favorite Zuni inlay forms. Did you see the announcement for the new book on SW silver boxes, including many with beautiful inlay? This is related to a wonderful show at the Heard Museum of John Krena’s (Four Winds Gallery) collection. I saw the exhibition in Sept.

https://heard.org/exhibits/elegant-vessels-a-century-of-southwest-silver-boxes/

https://www.fourwindsgallery.com/2022/10/25/elegant-vessels/

1 Like

@TAH, All three boxes have hallmarks from the CG Wallace trading post. The first box has a tomahawk hallmark while the middle and last boxes both have a double tailed arrow hallmark. The cuff leaning against the 3rd box carries two of the same stamps as the 2nd and 3rd boxes as well as the double tailed arrow hallmark. I suspect, but I’m not certain, the inlay on the middle box was done by Bowman Paywa. I believe they are from the 40’s/50’s

3 Likes

@chicfarmer, Thanks! Yes, I’m expecting the book to arrive tomorrow or Monday and I hope to get to the museum before the exhibit closes in March and my A/C business picks back up. As a matter of fact they are doing a book signing this evening and tomorrow at the Gallery in PA. Wish I were there!

2 Likes

WOW I knew you had a lot but I wasn’t fully aware of the total extent of your collection. BTW, I’m still waiting for Ester Wood and you may ship her in the box on the right. Merry Christmas and thanks! :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Looks like a museum display. So lovely!

5 Likes

@chicfarmer, Woohoo!!!..still in the shrink wrap!

Some of the boxes from the book.

6 Likes

Thank you @TaraFawn75

2 Likes

@AC OK…my tongue is officially ganging out of my mouth -Wowza! What a fabulous collection! And the HG Wallace pieces -so special. I’m especially attracted to the sterling boxes with the Knifewings and Rainbowman, I have one :grimacing:, but am hoping to find a couple more: I always like groupings of 3.
I’m going to have to spend some time going over al your posted pieces - what fun. Congrats on your outstanding collection, and your artistic photo display! Here’s my one Rainbowman box, and thanks @chicfarmer for the heads up about the book on SW silver boxes.

7 Likes

Aarg…CG Wallace…where the heck did the H come from🥴

1 Like

Up one row and three keys to the right. :grin:

No worries! We knew what you meant. I mess up all the time. It’s the only thing that makes my posts interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

YES!!! thee yippie yahooie leg!!! <3

truly a breathtaking collection.

3 Likes

Amazing collection- so focused and well edited. Together they make a powerful statement on the extraordinary Zuni artists who made them. Really well done , AJ
Congratulations.
August

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Bwahaahaa! :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

@AC Is there some bogus reason I can’t rummage through these contents? :heart_eyes:

3 Likes