Large turquoise necklace by PM

I recently got this necklace and and would like to find out an approximate age and an idea of what type of turquoise it might be. The hallmark is PM which I think may be Pauline McCray.
It is a rather large pendant that measures 3 1/4” by 2 5/8”, It is on a fairly lightweight strand of bench beads. The total weight is 101.54 grams.
If anyone has any information about the turquoise and/or Pauline McCray, I would like to know. Thanks for your help.image image image image image

7 Likes

It would also be nice to have information about McCray. She is only listed in the hallmark books with nothing but her name and hallmark. Thanks

1 Like

Schaaf’s doesn’t have a lot extra:
Pauline McCray (stamps PM)
(Navajo, active ?, silver, set stone, channel inlay jewelry)
Residence: Mentimore, NM
Publications: Wright 2000:112

2 Likes

Thanks. I checked Hougart’s and Wright and online. I appreciate you checking Schaff.

1 Like

I have continued to look at turquoise pictures and am now wondering if this might be Fox turquoise.

1 Like

I think of the stone as Kingman Turquoise. The style with the leaf can of makes me think 80s.

3 Likes

Thanks for your information. The Kingman mine sure has produced a wide variety of turquoise colors. I like this one for its greenish color that deepens to blue. But I also like the dark spiderwebbed colors of Ithaca Peak and the mesmerizing colors of Turquoise Mountain. Turquoise is fascinating!

1 Like

To add confusion, it could be Fox. I always think of a little more green tint, but you do see this color also.

2 Likes

Fox came to mind because I was looking through the Nevada Gem turquoise book and there was a picture of Fox that looked very similar. I think it’s the mystery of the origins that keeps me intrigued. It’s also fun to learn about the artists and the family connections. Nowadays with social media you can even see and communicate with some of them. Turquoise is addictive…and I’m hooked.:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Well this is the turquoise anonymous group.
Hello my name is Mark and I am a turquoise addict :laughing:

8 Likes

Welcome Mark. My name is Michelle and I am also a turquoise addict! :rofl::rofl::rofl::heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes