Large turquoise nugget…what to do?

Going through a lot of stuff during this cold wet weather, I found a lot of interesting things I had forgotten about. One was this cut turquoise nugget. It was given to me years ago, and I always wondered what to do with it - maybe have a Navajo jeweler make me a pendant? Since it was pretty dirty, I got out an old toothbrush and went over it with warm water. Once finished, I was taking pictures and uncovered something I hadn’t seen, globs of lavender gunk. It’s on the outside and not seen on the cut surface. I always wondered what kind of turquoise it could be and went through the obvious mines that produce turquoise with pyrite (Morenci, Kingman, Ithaca Peak…), but now I’m pissed about the purple gunk. What is it? I understand stabilization, etc, but have never seen this type of gunk. I don’t like it and want it to go away🥴. Any thoughts?

7 Likes

Very nice piece of turquoise @Bmpdvm . Is the “gunk” a mass of something? Possibly leached stabilizing material which a turquoise safe solvent should be able to dissolve. Maybe @mmrogers has a clue.

4 Likes

It could also be Sleeping Beauty. A very nice nugget.

3 Likes

The cut side of the stone is gorgeous. I’ve seen pictures of Ithaca Peak with the chunky gold pyrite. I’ve got a ring with Ithaca Peak, and it glitters every time the sunlight catches the pyrite. But I dunno :thinking: And I have no clue what the lavender gunk is; that would annoy me too!

1 Like

Perhaps you could try picking out the lavender stuff with a pointed tool, like a dental pick.

1 Like

try to get a few good chunks off of the matrix/host rock areas then try different chemicals on these small bits to see if anything breaks them down before trying directly on whole piece.

try hot pin, alcohol, nail polish remover would be easiest on any pieces you can scratch/pry off

3 Likes

@Bmpdvm That’s a terrific looking piece of nugget turquoise. The cut side leads me to believe that it’s Morenci turquoise. (As far as the lavender, IDK. At the risk of sounding foolish, I can’t help but wonder if it’s natural.)

1 Like

Sounds right to me @StevesTrail. Beautiful stone with pyrite and quartz inclusions. Looks like stabilized Kingman nugget to me.

1 Like

Thanks @Steve! It will probably take good magnification and a small pick. I was specifically wondering what I could use as a solvent that wouldn’t damage the turquoise. I’ll try your suggestion!

1 Like

That was my thought @Ziacat, the pyrite crystals sparkle in the light. I also have a ring stated to be Ithaca Peak, so I know what you mean. I agree with you and @mmrogers that it’s likely Kingman “area” turquoise (including Ithaca Peak), or Morenci. Weird that I didn’t notice the lavender gunk until I cleaned it with a toothbrush. I’ll pick at it a bit using magnification and see if I can get a piece off.

2 Likes

The lavender color might be from polishing rouge as well. I’ve seen natural stone with this type of matrix, so not 100% that the stone is stabilized. Could just be quartz inclusions. The flattened side looks an awful lot like Morenci. Would love to take a look at it under a loupe.

5 Likes

I hadn’t thought about polishing rouge. Over the years the residual could solidify. Aside from the gunk, it’s just gorgeous under a loupe, wish I could do a photo with magnification.

1 Like

Best magnification I can get. It appears the gunk is in areas you’d expect from residual polishing compound.

3 Likes

Thank you for the great closeup. The more I look at this the more it appears to be natural. The lavender color does resemble a stain, and I don’t think this is Bisbee, but my thought is it could be a similar natural purplish color in the matrix.

4 Likes

@mmrogers Glad you mentioned Bisbee as that initially crossed my mind as a possibility. Though after a deep dive this morning into Bisbee turquoise with pyrite inclusions, I couldn’t locate any examples or information about it. Not implying that it can’t exist but, it lead me to believe the nugget most likely isn’t Bisbee. This nugget has lots of pyrite.

2 Likes

I know, right?! When I’m wearing it outside I just kind of turn my hand around in the sun to watch it glitter :laughing: and there aren’t even big chunks like yours, they’re kind of speckley (again, is that even a word :thinking:) throughout.

4 Likes

My Ithaca Peak ring has some pretty good size pyrite inclusions:

5 Likes

Love! It! Mine sparkles, yours must flash like strobe lights :laughing:

Honestly I would have never guessed mine was Ithaca Peak. I would have probably thought straight spiderweb Kingman, except the artist who I bought it from was sure.

2 Likes

You’re hilarious @Ziacat! I love the turquoise, but it’s a large ring so I rarely wear it! And from what I’ve read, Ithaca Peak can be called Kingman since it’s part of the Kingman mining district. I thought Ithaca Peak was characterized by the brilliant blue color, AND large chunks of pyrite. But I’ve seen some from knowledgeable sources with little to no visible pyrite…go figure!

2 Likes

Rouge sounds possible. I’ve never heard of it but could that be the amethyst variety of quartz, albeit a more opaque stone.

A quick diluted ammonia and water on it would dissolve rouge.

2 Likes